Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Meaning of /etc/redhat-release Post 302836595 by Corona688 on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 11:37:17 AM
Old 07-24-2013
It's just a code name/internal name for that version, sort of like Apple has "OSX Lion" and the like.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Dual Xeon 2.6, RedHat EL 4 ES, up to latest release version. 2.6.9 kernel

============================================================== BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 3.11) System -- Linux linux.hhc.ac.uk 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri May 20 18:26:27 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Start Benchmark Run: Wed Jul 6 15:06:07 BST 2005 1 interactive users.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garp
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

redhat-release examples

I have a script that checks the redhat-release file to determine what security patch needs to be applied. Since there's a Red Hat 5 now, I need a redhat-release file from the various platforms (Desktop, Enteprise Workstation, and Enterprise Server) so I can build a proper search string. Also, it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

/etc/redhat-release meaning

Fairly new to RedHat. Can someone tell me what the version that I am working on. cat /etc/rehdat-release shows Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 Beta (Tikanga) I would think that this is RedHat 5 update 4. I don't know how what Beta and (Tikanga) means. Is this truly beta code? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jj1dv
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Patch analysis tool Redhat Enterprise release 4

Hello I have been asked to provide a security patch analysis of servers in my environment. For HPUX and Solaris there are tools wich can be loaded onto the servers to do this. However I do not know of one for Redhat . At this point I must mentioned that the Redhat servers are behind a firewall... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmsmith32
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
AKBD(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   AKBD(4)

NAME
akbd -- Apple Desktop Bus keyboard driver for wscons SYNOPSIS
akbd* at obio? wskbd* at akbd? console ? options ALTXBUTTONS options CAPS_IS_CONTROL options FORCE_FUNCTION_KEYS DESCRIPTION
This driver provides the wscons(4) driver with support for Apple Desktop Bus keyboards. To work around the limited number of buttons found on most ADB mice, one can map key sequences to trigger mouse button events. To map Option+1, Option+2, Option+3 to mouse buttons 1, 2, and 3 respectively, add the following line to your kernel configuration file: options ALTXBUTTONS On macppc systems it is possible to tweak the keyboard driver to treat the caps lock key on an ADB keyboard as a control key. This requires special remapping because of ADB's strange emulation of a mechanically-locked key. To enable this code add the following line to your kernel configuration file: options CAPS_IS_CONTROL On macppc PowerBooks, several function keys double as "hot keys" (brightness, volume, eject) when the Fn modifier is held down. Mac OS X likes to reprogram the keyboard controller to send hot key events when Fn is not held down and send function key events when it is. To transform the non-keyboard "button" events back into function key events, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options FORCE_FUNCTION_KEYS SUPPORTED HARDWARE
NetBSD is known to support the following ADB keyboards: o On-board keyboards on PowerBook models o Apple Standard Keyboard o Apple Keyboard II o Apple Extended Keyboard o Apple Extended Keyboard II o Apple Adjustable Keyboard o Most third-party ADB keyboards are supported SEE ALSO
adb(4), wscons(4), wskbd(4), wsconsctl(8) BUGS
The number pad on extended keyboards does not send out the proper key codes for many applications. The LEDs on extended keyboards are not functional under NetBSD. BSD
September 21, 2003 BSD