Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Gs to split a pdf into multiple pages Post 302836503 by jossojjos on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 09:53:09 AM
Old 07-24-2013
Gs to split a pdf into multiple pages

Hello,

Some googling and checking the man pages told me it should be possible to split a pdf (or ps) file into individual pages :

Code:
man gs

You  might  want  to  print each page separately.  To do this, send the
       output to a series of files "foo1.xyz, foo2.xyz, ..." using the "-sOut-
       putFile=" switch with "%d" in a filename template:

-sOutputFile=foo%d.xyz

So I tried splitting a file containing two pages :
Code:
gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=un_nostop%d.pdf un_nostop.pdf

but only one file (un_nostop1.pdf) containing the two pages is created ...

I tried with other pdf files, and the result is always the same.

What's the problem ? It must be right there, but I can't see it ...

Thanks,
Jos

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split text file by pages

Hello! Firts of all, I'm sorry for my English. My problem: I have text file with few Form Feed symbols (FF, ASCII code =12) inside (for example - some report, consists of some pages for printing). I want to split this text by pages - each page (until FF symbol) in single file. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranri
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get number of pages in a PDF file

Hello, Can anyone please help me providing script to get the number of pages in a PDF file? TIA Prvn (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Example] View man pages as pdf

This is a simple example of a shell script. I made it because it's sometimes convenient to search through a manpage and to have access to the terminal while you're reading (maybe to test code). It also serves as a basic example for anyone learning shell scripting. #!/bin/sh nm="/tmp/$1.pdf"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating pdf file with four pages

I have some code in fortran90, example stored in scode.f90 and I want to create a pdf containing the code. I would like to have four pages of code put into each page in the pdf. I was thinking of creating a ps file using mpage and then using ps2pdf after. However, I noticed that ps2pdf shift the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a text file into multiple pages based on pattern

Hi, I have a text file (attached the sample). I have also, attached the way the way the files need to be split. We get this file, that will either have 24 Jurisdictions, or will miss some and retain some. Like in the attached sample file, there are only Jurisdictions 03,11,14,15, 20 and 30.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebsus
3 Replies
PS2PDF(1)							    Ghostscript 							 PS2PDF(1)

NAME
ps2pdf - Convert PostScript to PDF using ghostscript ps2pdf12 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.2 (Acrobat 3-and-later compatible) using ghostscript ps2pdf13 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4-and-later compatible) using ghostscript ps2pdf14 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5-and-later compatible) using ghostscript SYNOPSIS
ps2pdf [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf12 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf13 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf14 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] DESCRIPTION
The ps2pdf scripts are work-alikes for nearly all the functionality (but not the user interface) of Adobe's Acrobat(TM) Distiller(TM) prod- uct: they convert PostScript files to Portable Document Format (PDF) files. If the output filename is not specified, the output is placed in a file of the same name with a '.pdf' extension in the current working directory. Either the input filename or the output filename can be '-' to request reading from stdin or writing to stdout, respectively, when used as a filter. The three scripts differ as follows: - ps2pdf12 will always produce PDF 1.2 output (Acrobat 3-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf13 will always produce PDF 1.3 output (Acrobat 4-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf14 will always produce PDF 1.4 output (Acrobat 5-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf per se currently produces PDF 1.4 output. However, this may change in the future. If you care about the compatibility level of the output, use ps2pdf12, ps2pdf13 or ps2pdf14, or use the -dCompatibility=1.x switch in the command line. There are some limitations in ps2pdf's conversion. See the HTML documentation for more information. A large number of Adobe Distiller(TM) parameters which can be used to control the conversion are also documented there, including instructions for generating PDF/X and PDF/A documents. OPTIONS
The ps2pdf scripts use the same options as gs(1). EXAMPLES
Converting a figure.ps to figure.pdf: ps2pdf figure.ps A conversion with more specifics: ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress figure.ps proof.pdf Converting as part of a pipe: make_report.pl -t ps | ps2pdf -dCompatibility=1.3 - - | lpr SEE ALSO
gs(1), ps2pdfwr(1), Ps2pdf.htm in the Ghostscript documentation BUGS
See http://bugs.ghostscript.com/ and the Usenet news group comp.lang.postscript. VERSION
This document was last revised for Ghostscript version 9.07. AUTHOR
Artifex Software, Inc. are the primary maintainers of Ghostscript. This manpage by George Ferguson. 9.07 12 February 2013 PS2PDF(1)