Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In Shell Script Does Second Command Wait For First Command To Complete Post 302836431 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 07:10:22 AM
Old 07-24-2013
until a process is complete the following process does not start, unless you run the process in the background, regardless of the running time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you wait for command substitution processes to complete?

When running a command using the >(cmd) syntax in bash how do you wait for the command to complete before moving on in your script? Here is a simple example: zcat largefile.gz | tee >(wc && echo “HELLO”) > /dev/null # I tried wait, here but it doesn't wait for the process in the subshell.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrvwman
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script runs fine in Solaris, in Linux hangs at wait command

HI, I have a strange problem. A shell script that runs fine on solaris. when i ported to linux, it started hanging. here is the core of the script CFG_FILE=tab25.cfg sort -t "!" -k 2 ${CFG_FILE} | egrep -v "^#|^$" | while IFS="!" read a b c do #echo "jobs output" #jobs #echo "jobs... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksaravanan
13 Replies

5. Solaris

Show complete command on command line when we use 'ps'

Hi, When I query using ps -ef, the complete command is not displayed and is truncated. Can you please tell me a method to resolve this ? I have tried the below. ps -ef | cat ps -ef | grep imp >/tmp/t1.txt /usr/ucb/ps -auxw pargs <pid> /usr/ucb/ps -aefyl | grep imp Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell. wait command and crontab

I have the following ksh script: sqlplus usr1/pw1@DB1 @$DIR/a.sql $1 & sqlplus usr2/pw2@DB2 @$DIR/b.sql $1 & wait echo "Done!" Where $DIR is a variable with the absolute path where a.sql and b.sql are. For some time, I've been running this script daily and it works fine. The intentions is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acarpio89
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script parallel tasks and command to wait untill complete?

Hello, im having bash script with while *** command1 && command2 && command3 && done i want to ask how i can prevent overloading server, by waiting untill all commands complete? any low resources intensive command like "wait" - i dont know if exist? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script not working but command works in command prompt

Hi everyone I have a problem with my script If I try directly this command /usr/bin/nice -n 19 mysqldump -u root --password="******" wiki_schneider -c | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > /point_de_montage/$(date '+%Y%m%d')-wiki-db.sql.gz It works But if I simply add this command in a script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: picemma
8 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)