Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merging two files without any common pattern Post 302836413 by Priya Amaresh on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 05:38:04 AM
Old 07-24-2013
Code:
paste file1 file2

paste command worked fine.. Thank You..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files with a common column

Hi, I have two files file1 and file2. I have to merge the columns of those two files into file3 based on common column of two files. To be simple. file1: Row-id name1 13456 Rahul 16789 Vishal 18901 Karan file2 : Row-id place 18901 Mumbai ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help merging two files if search pattern true.

Hello everyone, I've been reading this forum whenever I had a problem with AWK but I can't seem to find how to solve my problem. What I would like to do is the following: I have a first file with two columns, on the first one is a certain name and in the second one, another corresponding... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teroc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging 2 files based on a common column

Hi All, I do have 2 files file 1 has 4 tab delimited columns 234 a c dfgyu 294 b g fih 302 c h jzh 328 z c san 597 f g son File 2 has 2 tab delimted columns 234 23 302 24 597 24 I want to merge file 2 with file 1 based on the data common in both files which is the first column so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging of 2 files in a particular pattern

how can i merge to files containing some random sort of numbers to a separate file .. file1 11111 10111 11011 file2 00000 01010 10101 file 3 11111_00000 10111_01010 11011_10101 Please let me know how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging 2 text files when there is a common time stamp column in them

Dear Unix experts and users I have 2 kinds of files like below, of which I need to merge them in the order of time. File1: Date_Time Context D1 D2 04/19/2013_23:48:54.819 ABCD x x 04/19/2013_23:48:55.307 ABCD x x 04/19/2013_23:48:55.823 ABCD x ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two special character separated files based on pattern matching

Hi. I have 2 files of below format. File1 AA~1~STEVE~3.1~4.1~5.1 AA~2~DANIEL~3.2~4.2~5.2 BB~3~STEVE~3.3~4.3~5.3 BB~4~TIM~3.4~4.4~5.4 File 2 AA~STEVE~AA STEVE WORKS at AUTO COMPANY AA~DANIEL~AA DANIEL IS A ELECTRICIAN BB~STEVE~BB STEVE IS A COOK I want to match 1st and 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging tables: identifiying common and unique elements

Hi all, I know how to merge two tables and to remove the duplicated lines based on a field (Column 2) . My next challenge is to be able to identify in a new column those common elements between table A & B, those elements in table A not present in table B and vice versa. A simple count would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files with common IDs without JOIN

Hi, I am trying to merge information across 2 files. The first file is a "master" file, with all IDS. File 2 contains a subset of IDs of those in File 1. I would like to match up individuals in File 1 and File 2, and add information in File 2 to that of File 1 if they appear. However, if an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for pattern and merging files

I am trying to perform the following action. 1. A script runs the 'last' command for some users and prints the output to a file. $ cat last_users.log oracle pts/17 10.120.xxx.xxx Jun 28 14:42 - 18:01 (03:19) oracle pts/11 10.120.xxx.xxx Jun 28 14:28 - 20:17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check 2 log files for a common pattern?

hi! im new here and to unix. I want to do something with our log files. to compare two log files for a certain pattern. sample: file1.log contains all the "successful" run of a procedure. file2.log contains all the "current" running procedures. sample line from file1.log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cabs_14
5 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXIT STATUS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD