Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search a filename stored in a variable using a pattern? Post 302836367 by ripat on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 04:10:22 AM
Old 07-24-2013
Yet another way of doing it:

Code:
FNAME="s1.txt s2.lst s3.cvs s4.lst"

FILE_PATTERN="lst"
i=0
for f in $FNAME;do
	[ ${f##*.} = $FILE_PATTERN ] && FILE[$i]=$f && i=$((i+1)) 
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: pattern not properly stored in variable?

Hey there, I have a table of contents file of the form 1 Title1 1.1 Subtitle1 1.1.1 Subsubtitle1 1.1.2 Subsubtitle2 ... and want to count the number of dots in the first field to find out the level of the section. I use the gsub function for the job, which works if I pass the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herrsimon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for awk pattern in unix env variable

For a Script I need to detemine which field of the unix environment variable SHLIB_PATH has the WALTDB entry. export SHLIB_PATH=/usr/user5/WALTDB/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib32:/usr/TZD/bin.wdad/mug/oracle/lib: echo $SHLIB_PATH | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' Shure gives me the first entry, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the Pattern Search string as Input Variable

guys, I need to know how to assing pattern matched string as an input command variable. Here it goes' My script is something like this. ./routing.sh <Server> <enable|disable> ## This Script takes an input <Server> variable from this line of the script ## echo $1 | egrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search the pattern in a file and replace with variable already defined previously in csh

I want to replace a certain pattern with the variable already defined. e.g. set path_verilog = /home/priya/bin/verilogfile my file contents are : verilog new verilog is defined here verilog_path_comes I am using the below command sed 's/verilog_path_comes/'$path_verilog'/g' <filename>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : pattern matching a string stored in a variable

I have two variables, my $filename = "abc_yyyy_mm_dd.txt"; my $filename1 = " abc_2011_11_07.txt"; I need to perform some operations after checking if $filename has $filename1 in it i have used the below code, if($filename =~ /^$filename1/) { ---- -- } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Replace extension of filename stored in a variable

Hi there, I have a small question (most like a true beginners question :) ). In a script I have a filename stored in variable (vFile). Through the an input parameter this variable gets its value (for instance cookie.txt). Two new variables are created with the value of vFile, but with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rberkers
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning matched pattern within filename to variable

I am writing a bash script where I use two types of files that both contain a numerical pattern of the type 123.4567 (always groups of three and four digits separated by period) within their filenames. I need to assign the numerical patterns of these filenames to variables (inside a for loop),... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search if file exists for a file pattern stored in array

Hi experts, I have two arrays one has the file paths to be searched in , and the other has the files to be serached.For eg searchfile.dat will have abc303 xyz123 i have to search for files that could be abc303*.dat or for that matter any extension . abc303*.dat.gz The following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk -Search pattern through Variable

Hello, We have wrote shell script for multiple file name search pattern. file format: <numner>_<20180809>.txt starting with single number and ending with 8 digits number Command: awk -v string="12_1234" -v serch="^+_+$" "BEGIN{ if (string ~/serch$/) print string }" If sting matches... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
4 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)