Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sense key unit attention & iostat hardware and transport errors on SAN disks Post 302836335 by DukeNuke2 on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 03:03:11 AM
Old 07-24-2013
It could be the whole way of transport... From HBA to the transceiver over the cables to the other end of the system. it can also be a hardware error on the HBA itself. Also there can be a faulty device which may cause bus resets and therfore a rescan of the bus all the time.

The first thing I would try is to change two transceivers (from two HBAs; if you have) and see if the error is going with the transceiver or staying on the same controller.
This User Gave Thanks to DukeNuke2 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

problem with disks on SAN

Hi I have a linux box attched to a SAN storage from EMC with RAID 5 .I understand that it has 3g cache howver a 20gb file creation takes too much time here are my results any ideas why time dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.img bs=1048576 count=20000 20000+0 records in 20000+0 records out 997.59s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

iostat -nE with Hard Errors

iostat -nE returns the followings I want to know what is happening to my StorEDGE A1000? Can someone help me? It is a critical device. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickychung
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Sense Key: Media Error

Hi all, We have below WARNING in /var/adm/messages file from our Solaris server. WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0 (sd0): Error for Command: write(10) Error Level: Fatal Requested Block: 16745265 Error Block: 16745269 Vendor: SEAGATE Serial Number:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerboy
8 Replies

4. Solaris

SAN DISKS - Number of slices ?

Good morning to one and all :-) Thank god its Friday, as its bee na rubbish week for me ! So, a quick question. Disks ! Ive got a few local disks, and a few SAN disks used on my solaris server. Whats confusing me, and Im not sure if there's an issue at the SAN end, or my end, regarding the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

5. Solaris

What is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors?

what is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

6. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify SAN disks

Hello everybody, I'm using the binary inqraid (Linux RHEL) in order to retrieve information about SAN disks. The questions are: Given an LDEV, how do I know if the SAN disk related to this LDEV is being used by the OS? I mean, how can I demonstrate to "Storage department" that all disks of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Identify SAN disks not in use

Hello, How can I identify SAN disks not in use by the OS? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transport errors in iostat

Hi Unix experts, I have a question regarding a disk failure seen in "iostat -Enm" output: # iostat -Enm c1t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 7 Transport Errors: 9 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005M0 Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
5 Replies
HBA_RefreshInformation(3HBAAPI) 	      Common Fibre Channel HBA Information Library Functions		   HBA_RefreshInformation(3HBAAPI)

NAME
HBA_RefreshInformation, HBA_RefreshAdapterConfiguration - refresh information for a specific HBA SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lHBAAPI [ library... ] #include <hbaapi.h> void HBA_RefreshInformation(HBA_HANDLE handle); void HBA_RefreshAdapterConfiguration(void); PARAMETERS
handle an open handle returned from HBA_OpenAdapter(3HBAAPI) DESCRIPTION
The HBA_RefreshInformation() function requests that the underlying VSL reload all information about the given HBA. This function should be called whenever any function returns HBA_STATUS_ERROR_STALE_DATA, or if an index that was previously valid returns HBA_STATUS_ERROR_ILLE- GAL_INDEX. Because the underlying VSL can reset all indexes relating to the HBA, all old index values must be discarded by the caller. The HBA_RefreshAdapterConfiguration() function updates information about the HBAs present on the system. This function does not change any of the relationships between the HBA API and adapters that have not been reconfigured. HBA handles continue to refer to the same HBA even if it is no longer installed. The HBA name or index assigned by the library remains assigned to the same HBA even if it has been removed and reinstalled, as long as the bus position, WWN, and OS device have not changed. Adapter that have been removed and not replaced cannot have their HBA handles, HBA names, and HBA indexes reassigned. Calls to these adapters will generate HBA_STATUS_ERROR_UNAVAILABLE. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard: FC-MI 1.92 (API | | |version 1) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |Standard: FC-HBA Version 4 | | |(API version 2) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
HBA_OpenAdapter(3HBAAPI), libhbaapi(3LIB), attributes(5) T11 FC-MI Specification SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2003 HBA_RefreshInformation(3HBAAPI)