Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing duplicates from a file Post 302836269 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 23rd of July 2013 11:59:06 PM
Old 07-24-2013
There are lots of ways to do this. If you want the output sorted by the key you're using to determine duplication, sort -u is the most logical choice. If you want to give preference to the 1st entry found with a given key and have output order match input order, awk provides a simple way to do it:
Code:
awk -F, '!a[$2,$3,$4]++' input1 input2 > mergeNoDup
awk -F, '!a[$2,$3,$4]++' mergeWithDups > mergeNoDup

Use the 1st line if you have your separate files from server 1 and server 2; use the 2nd line if you have already created a merged file and want to remove duplicates from the merged file. Both of these will work with an unlimited number of input files as long as you don't reach ARG_MAX limitations on the number of input files you're feeding into awk.

As always, if you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk rather than /bin/awk or /usr/bin/awk.

Other ways to do this include writing a C (or other high level language program), perl, using the associative arrays that are available in some shells, and an endless number of much less efficient combinations using read (to get a list of keys), grep (to get a count of lines containing a key), and an editor (to remove all but one occurrence of duplicated keys).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates from a file

i have a file with some 1000 entries it will contain entries like 1000,ram 2000,pankaj 1001,rahim 1000,ram 2532,govind 2000,pankaj 3000,venkat 2532,govind what i want is i want to extract only the distinct rows from this file so my output should contain only 1000,ram... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates in a sorted file by field.

I have data like this: It's sorted by the 2nd field (TID). envoy,90000000000000634600010001,04/11/2008,23:19:27,RB00266,0015,DETAIL,ERROR, envoy,90000000000000634600010001,04/12/2008,04:23:45,RB00266,0015,DETAIL,ERROR,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinksville
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates of a pattern from a file

hey all, I need some help. I have a text file with names in it. My target is that if a particular pattern exists in that file more than once..then i want to rename all the occurences of that pattern by alternate patterns.. for e.g if i have PATTERN occuring 5 times then i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashisharora
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from log file?

I have a log file with posts looking like this: -- Messages can be delivered by different systems at different times. The id number is used to sort out duplicate messages. What I need is to strip the arrival time from each post, sort posts by id number, and reattach arrival time to respective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Duplicates from file

Hi Experts, Please check the following new requirement. I got data like the following in a file. FILE_HEADER 01cbbfde7898410| 3477945| home| 1 01cbc275d2c122| 3478234| WORK| 1 01cbbe4362743da| 3496386| Rich Spare| 1 01cbc275d2c122| 3478234| WORK| 1 This is pipe separated file with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinufarid
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting a file and removing duplicates

Hi, I have a file that I want to change the format of. It is a large file in rows but I want it to be comma separated (comma then a space). The current file looks like this: HI, Joe, Bob, Jack, Jack After I would want to remove any duplicates so it would look like this: HI, Joe,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates depending on file size

Hi all, I am working with a huge amount of files in a Linux environment and I was trying to filter my data. Here's what my data looks like Name............................Size OLUSDN.gf.gif-1.JPEG.......5 kb LKJFDA01.gf.gif-1.JPEG.....3 kb LKJFDA01.gf.gif-2.JPEG.....1 kb... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep from pattern file without removing duplicates?

I have been using grep to output whole lines using a pattern file with identifiers (fileA): fig|562.2322.peg.1 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.3 fig|562.2322.peg.7 From fileB with corresponding identifiers in the second column: NODE_0 fig|562.2322.peg.1 peg ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mauve
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3.I have tried previous post also,but in that complete line must be similar.In this case i have to verify first column only regardless what is the content in succeeding columns. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
3 Replies
DUFF(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DUFF(1)

NAME
duff -- duplicate file finder SYNOPSIS
duff [-0HLPaeqprtz] [-d function] [-f format] [-l limit] [file ...] duff [-h] duff [-v] DESCRIPTION
The duff utility reports clusters of duplicates in the specified files and/or directories. In the default mode, duff prints a customizable header, followed by the names of all the files in the cluster. In excess mode, duff does not print a header, but instead for each cluster prints the names of all but the first of the files it includes. If no files are specified as arguments, duff reads file names from stdin. Note that as of version 0.4, duff ignores symbolic links to files, as that behavior was conceptually broken. Therefore, the -H, -L and -P options now apply only to directories. The following options are available: -0 If reading file names from stdin, assume they are null-terminated, instead of separated by newlines. Also, when printing file names and cluster headers, terminate them with null characters instead of newlines. This is useful for file names containing whitespace or other non-standard characters. -H Follow symbolic links listed on the command line. This overrides any previous -L or -P option. Note that this only applies to directories, as symbolic links to files are never followed. -L Follow all symbolic links. This overrides any previous -H or -P option. Note that this only applies to directories, as symbolic links to files are never followed. -P Don't follow any symbolic links. This overrides any previous -H or -L option. This is the default. Note that this only applies to directories, as symbolic links to files are never followed. -a Include hidden files and directories when searching recursively. -d function The message digest function to use. The supported functions are sha1, sha256, sha384 and sha512. The default is sha1. -e Excess mode. List all but one file from each cluster of duplicates. Also suppresses output of the cluster header. This is useful when you want to automate removal of duplicate files and don't care which duplicates are removed. -f format Set the format of the cluster header. If the header is set to the empty string, no header line is printed. The following escape sequences are available: %n The number of files in the cluster. %c A legacy synonym for %d, for compatibility reasons. %d The message digest of files in the cluster. This may not be combined with -t as no digest is calculated. %i The one-based index of the file cluster. %s The size, in bytes, of a file in the cluster. %% A '%' character. The default format string when using -t is: %n files in cluster %i (%s bytes) The default format string for other modes is: %n files in cluster %i (%s bytes, digest %d) -h Display help information and exit. -l limit The minimum size of files to be sampled. If the size of files in a cluster is equal or greater than the specified limit, duff will sample and compare a few bytes from the start of each file before calculating a full digest. This is stricly an optimization and does not affect which files are considered by duff. The default limit is zero bytes, i.e. to use sampling on all files. -q Quiet mode. Suppress warnings and error messages. -p Physical mode. Make duff consider physical files instead of hard links. If specified, multiple hard links to the same physical file will not be reported as duplicates. -r Recursively search into all specified directories. -t Thorough mode. Distrust digests as a guarantee for equality. In thorough mode, duff compares files byte by byte when their sizes match. -v Display version information and exit. -z Do not consider empty files to be equal. This option prevents empty files from being reported as duplicates. EXAMPLES
The command: duff -r foo/ lists all duplicate files in the directory foo and its subdirectories. The command: duff -e0 * | xargs -0 rm removes all duplicate files in the current directory. Note that you have no control over which files in each cluster that are selected by -e (excess mode). Use with care. The command: find . -name '*.h' -type f | duff lists all duplicate header files in the current directory and its subdirectories. The command: find . -name '*.h' -type f -print0 | duff -0 | xargs -0 -n1 echo lists all duplicate header files in the current directory and its subdirectories, correctly handling file names containing whitespace. Note the use of xargs and echo to remove the null separators again before listing. DIAGNOSTICS
The duff utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
find(1), xargs(1) AUTHORS
Camilla Berglund <elmindreda@elmindreda.org> BUGS
duff doesn't check whether the same file has been specified twice on the command line. This will lead it to report files listed multiple times as duplicates when not using -p (physical mode). Note that this problem only affects files, not directories. duff no longer (as of version 0.4) reports symbolic links to files as duplicates, as they're by definition always duplicates. This may break scripts relying on the previous behavior. If the underlying files are modified while duff is running, all bets are off. This is not really a bug, but it can still bite you. BSD
January 18, 2012 BSD