Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating Frequency of words from a file by accessing a corpus Post 302836257 by MR.bean on Tuesday 23rd of July 2013 10:25:48 PM
Old 07-23-2013
Code:
$ awk '{txt[$0]++} END{for (i in txt) { printf "%-8d %s\n"  ,txt[i],i }}' list
1        attract
1        if
1        at
1        being
1        for
1        be

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating String from words in a file

Hi i have a file called search.txt Which contains text like Car Bus Cat Dog Now i have to create a string from the file which should look like Car,Bus,Cat,Dog ( appending , is essential part) String must be stored in some variable so i can pass it as argument to some other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakthaman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words in Input File with Words from a Master File

Hello, I have a complex problem. I have a file in which words have been joined together: Theboy ranslowly I want to be able to correctly split the words using a lookup file in which all the words occur: the boy ran slowly slow put child ly The lookup file which is meant for look up... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
21 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count frequency of words in a file

I need to write a shell script "cmn" that, given an integer k, print the k most common words in descending order of frequency. Example Usage: user@ubuntu:/$ cmn 4 < example.txt :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_iitk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting concatenated words in input file with words from the same file

Dear all, I am working with names and I have a large file of names in which some words are written together (upto 4 or 5) and their corresponding single forms are also present in the word-list. An example would make this clear annamarie mariechristine johnsmith johnjoseph smith john smith... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning the same frequency to more than one words in a file

I have a file of names with the following structure NAME FREQUENCY NAME NAME FREQUENCY NAME NAME NAME FREQUENCY i.e. more than one name is assigned the same frequency. An example will make this clear SANDHYA DAS 6901 ARATI DAS 6201 KALPANA DAS 4714 GITA DAS 4550 BISWANATH DAS 3949... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count the number of two words associated with the two words occurring in the file?

Hi , I need to count the number of errors associated with the two words occurring in the file. It's about counting the occurrences of the word "error" for where is the word "index.js". As such the command should look like. Please kindly help. I was trying: grep "error" log.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmarx
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the words in the file to the words that user type?

Hello, I would like to change my setting in a file to the setting that user input. For example, by default it is ONBOOT=ON When user key in "YES", it would be ONBOOT=YES -------------- This code only adds in the entire user input, but didn't replace it. How do i go about... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Frequency of Words in a File, sed script from 1980

tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | tr A-Z a-z | sort | uniq -c | sort -k1,1nr -k2 | sed ${1:-25} < book7.txt This is not my script, it can be found way back from 1980 but once it worked fine to give me the most used words in a text file. Now the shell is complaining about an error in sed sed: -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problems creating and accessing with user

Hi, I have created the user 'mastersa' in several servers. I need to change the user ID to '0'. However, after doing this, I am not able to login (Access denied). Even after I change the password, I still get this error. Why is this? Also, when I attempt to delete the user account, I get... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
american-english-large(5)					   Users' Manual					 american-english-large(5)

NAME
american-english-large - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/american-english-large is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 american-english-large(5)