Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Time taken to run grep in different OS Post 302835805 by codemaniac on Tuesday 23rd of July 2013 03:37:18 AM
Old 07-23-2013
if you are trying to search for fixed strings, you can use fgrep which is more faster than grep.
fgrep (grep -F in linux) is fixed or fast grep and behaves as grep but does not recognise any regular expression metacharacters as being special.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

run script in autosys at a specified time.

I have created a shell script. I want to run the script in Autosys. Please note my shell script runs as "$ ksh run.ksh" How do I make autosys run this script at 5:00PM every day? insert_job: abc job_type: c box_name: run.box command: ksh run.ksh machine: mach1 #owner: mach1@mymach... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gram77
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script at same time

Hi My five script run throgh crontab at same time at 6 clock. Due to problem in the data load .Now I want to check time of load finish run these jobs. I create a script which check the load finish time but I have no idea how I run these JObs. This is very urget to me. Please reply me as soon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamil Qadir
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

run script for given time

Hi! I need to run my script for a specific number of time, as specified by the user: For instance, if the user specified 10, my script should run for until 10 seconds expire. How do I do this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run several commands at a time

Hello guys, I am new at shell scripting and I want to create a script that runs several commands at a time, ie: uptime, w, df -h and so on and send the output of this commands to a text file so it can be send via email at a certain time using crontab. Any help will be much appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

last run time of any script

how to find when last time a scrit has ran? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
7 Replies

6. Programming

Run time Debugging

We have recently downloaded, installed and compiled gcc-3.0.4 code. gcc compiler has built successfully and we where able to compile some same test cpp file. I would like to know how we can modify gcc source code so that we add additional run time debugging statements like the binary in execution... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
4 Replies

7. AIX

time of a particular command run

Hello all, I need to find, what time a particular command was run in one of our AIX box. In our environment, we use 'powerbroker' to login as root and there are so many people who use this. I tried history command, which shown me similar to below: 406 ls -l | *user* 407 ls -l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Java Run Time

I have installed IBM Java Runtime V1.4.2 in solaris. but when i give java -version, it gets me this:java version "1.5.0_20" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_20-b02) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_20-b02, mixed mode, sharing) can you please tell me how do i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ichwaiznicht
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we run tail -f for a specified time?

Hi all, I want to check a log file that gets updated very frequently, almost every second. What I want to do from a script is to check this log file 1) for a particular string 2) for a specified time while it is getting updated. And as soon as it finds that particular string the command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute grep command at run time

HI I am trying to use the following code in the shell script (using grep) usage() { echo "Usage: ./$0 <file name> <interval> <pattern>" } METRICS_FILE=$1 INTERVAL=$2 PATTERN="$3" .. if then PATTERN="grep Gx" fi COUNT=`cat ${METRICS_FILE} | "${PATTERN}" |egrep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asifansari
8 Replies
GZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GZGREP(1)

NAME
gzgrep, gzegrep, gzfgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
gzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
gzgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If gzgrep is invoked as gzegrep or gzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, gzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep gzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; gzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzmore(1), gznew(1), gzforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZGREP(1)