Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Tru to print the last name and first name using key word Post 302835535 by jakemathew on Monday 22nd of July 2013 03:03:58 PM
Old 07-22-2013
Tru to print the last name and first name using key word

I am new to shell scripting and trying to do the below

Code:
Stan:Smith:Detroit:MI
Jim:Jones:Farmington Hills:MI
Jack:Frost:Denver:CO
Sue:Apple:New York:NY
Cindy:Thompson:Battle Creek:MI
John:Smith:Denver:CO
George:Jones:New York:NY

Need to create a shell script This script will display the following information in a menu format:
Code:
                        L - Print Last Names
                        F - Print First Names
                        C - Print First Name, Last Name sorted by city
                        S - Print First Name, Last Name, State sorted by state
                        Q - Exit the program

The script will perform all of the actions listed above on your file and loop until Q key is pressed.

[COLOR="#738fbf"]---------- Post updated at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:00 PM ----------[/color

I did the below but not working...

Code:
loop=y
while [ "$loop" = y ]
do
clear
tput cup 3 12; echo "P - Print Last Name"
tput cup 10 9; echo "Q - Quit: "
tput cup 10 19;
read choice || continue
case $choice in
[Pp]) less ~/export/home/mathews/homework2;;
[Qq]) exit ;;
*) tput cup 14 4; echo "Invalid Code"; read choice ;;
esac
done

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment code tags for code please, not font, not color

Last edited by Corona688; 07-22-2013 at 04:24 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for key word within a file

Hello, I have a directory that holds all of my matlab codes. I am trying to run a searh on all of the matlab files that have the word "while" written inside the sytax of the code. Looking for all of the times that I did a while loop. Can someone help me do this? Thanks in advance. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moradwan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

key word parameter

cat shell_script.ksh x=$A y=$B export x export y echo $x echo $y when i am running this with a command ksh shell_script.ksh -A 10 -B 20 its not showing anything .... could you let me know how i can use key word type paramter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl (word by word check if a hash key)

Hi, Now i work in a code that 1-get data stored in the database in the form of hash table with a key field which is the " Name" 2-in the same time i open a txt file and loop through it word by word 3- which i have a problem in is that : I need to loop word by word and check if it is a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eng_shimaa
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines from a file containing key word

i have a file containing over 1 million records,and i want to print about 300,000 line containing a some specific words. file has content. eg 1,rrt,234 3,fgt,678 4,crf,456 5,cde,drt 6,cfg,123 and i want to print the line with the word fgt,crf this is just an example,my file is so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to search for a particular word in files and print the word and path name

Hi, i am new to unix shell scripting and i need a script which would search for a particular word in all the files present in a directory. The output should have the word and file path name. For example: "word" "path name". Thanks for the reply in adv,:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual_45
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl lwp find word and print next word :)

hi all, I'm new there, I'm just playing with perl and lwp and I just successfully created a script for log in to a web site with post. I have a response but I would like to have something like this: I have in my response lines like: <div class="sender">mimi020</div> <some html code.....>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vogueestylee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Search for a word and print the next word

Hi, I am trying to search for a word and print the next word. For example: My text is "<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure">" I am searching for "TYPE" and trying to print ="Lookup Procedure" I have written a code like following: echo $line | nawk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i replace a word ending with "key" using awk excpet for one word?

echo {mbr_key,grp_key,dep_key,abc,xyz,aaa,ccc} | awk 'gsub(/^|abc,|$/,"") {print}' Required output {grp_key,xyz,aaa,ccc} (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)