Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell Script for displaying the line till the target word Post 302834839 by Kalaiselvi66 on Saturday 20th of July 2013 06:05:54 AM
Old 07-20-2013
Hi Bartus11,

i am very new to unix,so could you please explain me how to run the script which you have mentioned? i am running this query in putty and tried like:
Code:
-sh 's/([^ \047]*wrk)(\047,)?.*/^^^^^$1^^^^^$2/' myfilename..

but am getting error as "-bash: -sh: command not found "...Could u plz help me

---------- Post updated at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:01 AM ----------

Could any1 help me in the below requirement:
Am having a text file having the content as:file.txt
Code:
a
b
c
d
e

i have understand the "sed" command.

but i am not getting how to use it in a loop.

For ex:
Code:
sed 's/a/&&&a&&&/' file.txt

-->output wil be &&&a&&&.
but i want the output as:
Code:
&&&aaa&&&
&&&bbb&&&

like tis

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Scott; 07-25-2013 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to parse a line and insert a word

Hi All, I have a file like this, data1,data2,,,data5,data6. i want to write a shell script to replace data3 with "/example/string". which means my data file should look like this . data1,data2,example/string],,data5,data6. Could you guys help me to get a sed command or any other command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to match pattern till blank line

Hi, I need to match lines after a pattern, upto the first blank line. Searched in web and some forums but coulnt find the answer. where <restart_step> = 10 -- Execute query 20 -- Write the contents to the Oracle table 30 -- Writing Contents to OUTPUT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert a shell script to a php script for displaying next word after pattern match

I have a shell script which I made with the help of this forum #!/bin/sh RuleNum=$1 cat bw_rules | sed 's/^.*-x //' | awk -v var=$RuleNum '$1==var {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if($i=="-bwout") print $(i+3),$(i+1)}}' Basically I have a pages after pages of bandwidth rules and the script gives... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb245
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch entries in front of specific word till next word

Hi all I have following file which I have to edit for research purpose file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png body, div, table, thead, tbody, tfoot, tr, th, td, p { font-family: &quot;Liberation Sans&quot;; font-size: x-small; } Drug: KRP-104 QD Drug: Placebo Drug: Metformin|Drug:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Chopra
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying text till pattern match found in a line

Hi All, From the below line if we want to display all the text till found pattern dot/. I was trying with the below code but couldn't able to print text before the pattern. it display texts which is found after pattern. awk '/assed/{print;getline;print}' file_name | sed 's/^*. *//' input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell for displaying specific records from a line.

Input file. GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812974> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812985> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812986> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812987> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812996> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812998> GMDCOM.27936 : Process... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies
BOGGLE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							 BOGGLE(6)

NAME
boggle -- word search game SYNOPSIS
boggle [-bd] [-s seed] [-t time] [-w length] [+ [+]] [boardspec] DESCRIPTION
The object of boggle is to find as many words as possible on the Boggle board within the three minute time limit. A Boggle board is a four by four arrangement of Boggle cubes, each side of each cube displaying a letter of the alphabet or `qu'. Words are formed by finding a sequence of cubes (letters) that are in the game's dictionary. The (N+1)th cube in the word must be horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent to the Nth cube. Cubes cannot be reused. Words consist solely of lower case letters and must be at least 3 letters long. Command line flags can be given to change the rules of the game. -b Run boggle in batch mode. A boardspec must also be given. The dictionary is read from stdin and a list of words appearing in boardspec is printed to stdout. -d Enable debugging output. -s seed Specify a seed seed other than the time of day. -t time Set the time limit for each game from the default 3 minutes to time seconds. -w length Change the minimum word length from 3 letters to length. + This flag allows a cube to be used multiple times, but not in succession. ++ This flag allows the same cubes to be considered adjacent to itself. boardspec A starting board position can be specified on the command line by listing the board left to right and top to bottom. Help is available during play by typing '?'. More detailed information on the game is given there. BUGS
If there are a great many words in the cube the final display of the words may scroll off of the screen. (On a 25 line screen about 130 words can be displayed.) No word can contain a 'q' that is not immediately followed by a 'u'. When using the + or ++ options the display of words found in the board doesn't indicate reused cubes. AUTHOR
Boggle is a trademark of Parker Brothers. Barry Brachman Dept. of Computer Science University of British Columbia BSD
April 1, 2001 BSD