Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to replace particular occurrence of character in between a delimiter? Post 302834709 by H_bansal on Friday 19th of July 2013 03:13:34 PM
Old 07-19-2013
How to replace particular occurrence of character in between a delimiter?

Hi,
Hi,

I have a file with following format

Code:
1|" "text " around " |" fire "guest"|" "
2| "xyz"" | "no guest"|"3"
3| """ test3""| "one" guest"|"4"

My requirement is to replace all occurrences of " to ' which are occurring between |" "|delimiter
so my output should look like this

Code:
1|" 'text ' around " |" fire ' guest"|" "
2|"xyz' "|"no guest"|"3"
3|" ' ' test3' "| "one ' guest"|"4"

Any help regarding this will be higly appreciated.

Thanks,
Himani

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Removed rogue formatting; code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace to first occurrence of string

Hi all, I have a very large; delimited file. In vi I would like to replace: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_1;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT2;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_2;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT3;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_3;#;A with: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;Average... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilmord
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace second occurrence only

HPUX /bin/sh (posix) I have a file as such cat dog mouse deer elk rabbit mouse rat pig I would like to replace the second occurrence of mouse in this file with mouse2. The rest of the file has to stay exactly as is. I'm not sure exactly where mouse might be (could be first,second,third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed to print a string until the second occurrence of a character

Hi, I am totally new to shell scripting. I have a String "c:\working\html\index.txt.12-12-2009.bkp" I want to check if the string has more than one "." character. If it does I would like to retrieve only "c:\working\html\index.txt" i.e, discard the second occurrence of "." and the rest of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: imr
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in UNIX (sed)

Hi I need help on this ..!! Input : xx_abc_regA xx_def_regB xx_qwe_regC Now i required the output as the below abc def qwe Need to remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in Unix (sed). Thanks in Advance ..!!! -Nallachand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nallachand
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last occurrence of a character in a string

Hello how to find last occurence of a string for example in the following I want last occurence of '-' i.e. position 12 str="aa-bbb-cccc-ddd-ee" my pupose is to get the string 'ee' Thanks and Regards Chetanz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Replace first occurrence after match

hey guys, i have been trying to work this thing out with sed with no luck :confused: i m looking for a way to replace only the first occurrence after a match for example : Cat Realized what you gotta do Dog Realized what you gotta do Sheep Realized what you gotta do Wolf Realized... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Awk: count occurrence of each character for every field

Hi, let's say an input looks like: A|C|C|D A|C|I|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B as the title of the thread explains, I am trying to get something like: 1|A=4 2|C=2|B=1|T=1 3|I=3|C=1 4|D=1|E=1|C=1|B=1 i.e. a count of every character in each field (first column of output) independently, sorted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or other way to find out number of occurrence of 7th character

Hi all, I am looking for to filter out based on 7th character and list the number of occurrence based on the 7th character if p , d , o or m 1. if 7th character is p , Output should be: p_hosts = N 2. if 7th character is d , Output should be: d_hosts = N 3. if 7th character is o , Output... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies
virt-clone(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    virt-clone(1M)

NAME
virt-clone - clone virtual machine images SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/virt-clone [option] DESCRIPTION
The virt-clone utility is a command line tool for cloning existing virtual machine images. virt-clone copies disk images of an existing virtual machine and defines a new guest with an identical virtual hardware configuration. Elements that require uniqueness are updated to avoid a clash between old and new guests. With appropriate command-line arguments, virt-clone can run completely unattended, with the guest automatically starting itself as well. This allows for easy automation of guest installs. If you do not specify options to virt-clone, the command runs interactively, prompting for input as required. To run virt-clone, you must become superuser or assume the Primary Administrator role. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --connect=URI Connect to the hypervisor at URI. -d, --debug Display debugging information when running the install process. -f disk_image, --file=disk_image Path to the file, disk partition, or logical volume to use as the backing store for the guest's virtual disk. If the original guest has multiple disks, this parameter must be repeated multiple times, once per disk in the original virtual machine. -h, --help Display the help message and exit. -m mac_addr, --mac=mac_addr Fixed MAC address for the guest. If the keyword random is specified, a random address will be used. -n name, --name=name Name of the new guest virtual machine instance. This must be unique among all guests known to the hypervisor on this machine, including those not currently active. To redefine an existing guest, use the virsh(1M) tool to shut it down and delete it prior to running virt- clone. This parameter will be prompted for if omitted on the command line. -o original_guest, -original=original_guest Name or UUID for the original guest to be cloned. This guest must be shut down since it is not possible to safely clone active guests. -u UUID, -uuid=UUID UUID for the guest; if none is specified, a random UUID is generated. If you specify UUID, use a 32-digit hexadecimal number. Keep in mind that UUIDs are intended to be unique across the entire data center, and indeed, the world. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Cloning a Guest with a Single Disk The following command clones a guest named demo, which has a single disk to copy. # virt-clone --original demo --name newdemo --file /var/lib/xen/images/newdemo.img Example 2 Cloning a Guest with Multiple Disks The following command clones a guest named demo, with has multiple disks to copy. # virt-clone --original demo --name newdemo --file /var/lib/xen/images/newdemo.img --file /var/lib/xen/images/newdata.img Example 3 Cloning to a Device with Comparable Disk Space The following command clones a guest to a physical device that has at least as much disk space as had the original guest. . If the destina- tion device is has more space, the new guest can do a file system resize when it boots. # virt-clone --name demo --file /dev/HostVG/DemoVM --mac 00:16:3e:34:11:54 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxvmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
virsh(1M), virt-install(1M), xm(1M), xVM(5), attributes(5), xVM(5) SunOS 5.11 23 Jun 2008 virt-clone(1M)