Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Time command issuing all zeroes (is now considered homework help) Post 302834385 by Don Cragun on Thursday 18th of July 2013 08:50:59 PM
Old 07-18-2013
The number following "real" is the time that elapsed from when the command started running until it finished (this is sometimes referred to as wall clock time); the number following "user" is the time that was attributed to your user code while the command was running; and the number following "sys" is the time that was attributed to OS (kernel) code while the command was running. On a multi-processor system, user time + sys time could be larger than real time if multiple cores were running different parts of your code at the same time. Real time could easily be much more than the sum of user time + sys time if your code was waiting for I/O or was delayed while other code was being run on your system by other processes.

PS Note that when the shell you're using prints time output in the format:
Code:
3.36u 0.07s 0:05.43 63.2%

the 1st number (ending with 'u') is user time, the 2nd number (ending with 's') is sys time, and the 3rd part is wall clock time. The percentage at the end is how much of the system the command was using during the life of the command: ((user + sys) / real) * 100.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-18-2013 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Add PS comparing different time output formats.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between time command and usr/bin/time

I wondered if someone could point out the differences between the time commmand and usr/bin/time and the accuracy one might have over another. Also, is there a website or two a person could maybe link for me to describe the differences? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icedrake
2 Replies

2. Programming

C: why decimals considered double by default ?

Can anybody tell me why any literal constant real numbers are double by default in C ? Why is the default not float ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
2 Replies

3. AIX

Background & is considered as Idle

Our Aix Unix has one issue. If I type xedit & after 30 minutes, xedit auto shut down. If I type xedit xedit will run forward. I feel this & doesn't perform as it should be. When I use &, system consider this process as idle. How to fix this issue? Does this mean unix env... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_hu_66
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh Programming Considered Harmful

I have noticed a few posts asking questions about c shell scripting these past few days. This a good read for those that currently or are thinking about writing a csh script: Csh Programming Considered Harmful (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issuing a Here Document as a Single Line Command

How can I run a here document on just one line? I ask, because I need to issue it from C++ as a system() or similar command and for security reasons I don't want to write out a shell script file from the program and run it. For example, how could I write: passwd test <<EOF n3wp3ss... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonShw
3 Replies

6. Programming

Why is C/C++ considered low-level languages???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing well and fine. I have always been hearing that C/C++ are relatively low-level as compared to Java/C# etc. Could you please tell me some low-level qualities of C/C++? And I think disk deframenters are written in C/C++, please correct me if I am wrong. And please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considered basic but advanced outcome (Custom Backup Solution)

Ive a problem that I'm reaching out for help. Ive written (With bits and pieces) of script that is not running as expected or is having an issue causing processes to spiral out of control. The script does this: Unloads a UV database server Tars up a few folders Transfers the file to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coastdweller
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time command issuing all zeroes

I am trying to issue the time command on a program so I can see execution times but it is returning all zeroes. Like this: time pdriver arg1 arg2 0.000u 0.000s 0:00.00 0.0% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w "0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w" --> The "0+0io" may change sometimes to a different number. How can I run the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamentofking
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add file extensions to files EXCEPT the script that is issuing

Greetings all, On a RedHat System - I am issuing a command from script.sh that will add a file extension to a listing of files in a directory. It works, but I need to script from having an extension added as well. Here is what I have tried to no luck: for file in `ls * | awk ' /\./{print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using alias after issuing 'su - user'

Hi, Using ksh, I have set up aliases (which work fine) in my user's .profile like this: alias ll = 'ls -lrt' alias cls = 'clear' How do I call these same aliases so that they will work after issuing this: ? su - user I do not want to add aliases to the su shell's .profile or .kshrc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocbit
7 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)