Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting value of variable whose name is stored in another variable Post 302834019 by kumarjt on Thursday 18th of July 2013 08:49:51 AM
Old 07-18-2013
Getting value of variable whose name is stored in another variable

Unix OS : Linux 2.6x
Shell type : Korn
I am stuck in weird problem .
In my shell script I am setting an environment variable using the following command :
Code:
EMP="KUMARJIT"; export EMP

In the following sections of the script , what I did is :
I created and initialized a new shell variable "type" using the following command:
Code:
type="EMP"

As because the VALUE OF A SHELL VARIABLE(type) IS THE NAME OF ONE THE ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE(EMP) ,
how can I get the value of variable "EMP" using the shell variable "type" ?

Thanks
Kumarjit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i exectue a command stored in a variable.it goes like this

hi the code i ve written is as follows: command="egrep ',100,|,200,' | wc -l" count =`cat trial.txt | $command` echo "$count" the contents of trial.txt is : 000,100,200,300, 001,200,100,201, 002,200,100,400, i need to get the count using the command stored in a variable and using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syms
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment variable stored in a file

Hi, I want to write a perl script, which will increment number stored in file. I want to do this without any file handles. I think we have to use some UNIX commands. I am not sure how to do this with file handles. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solitare123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function returns a value but cannot be stored in other variable

I need help to store the value returned from the function to one variable and then use that variable. PREVIOUS_DATE_FUNCTION() { date '+%m %d %Y' | { read MONTH DAY YEAR DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1` case "$DAY" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1` case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to check values stored in variable?

hey, i have stored values of query like this val_2=$( sqlplus -s rte/rted1@rel75d1 << EOF set heading off select source_id from cvt_istats where istat_id > $val_1; exit EOF ) echo $val_2 now , val_2 has five values displayed like this 1 2 3 4 5 what i have to do is to check the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of All Users Stored in Variable

I'm trying to get a list of all users on the system, store the list in a variable, then find all the files of a certain extension owned by each of the users. The command I use to get the list is getent passwd | cut -d: -f1 | sortand this works just fine. However, if I try to store it in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hobscrk777
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable being stored with additional characters

I am trying to store a string value to a temporary variable within my script. When I run the command manually it returns the expected value, but from the script an additional "\r" is at the end. tCurrentStatus=`cat ${tPC_status} | grep 'Current status' | awk '{print $NF}'` output: cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxrst
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve parameter value stored in a variable

Hi All, I have below variable, xyz=\$AI_XFR Now, if you will run the below command => echo $xyz $AI_XFR It is returning hardcoded string value. Whereas in environment, there is value in it. Like below: => echo $AI_XFR /home/aditya/sandbox/xfr/ I need to resolve this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgangwar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)