Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX? Post 302833791 by alister on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 10:21:37 PM
Old 07-17-2013
One question per thread.

The answers to all of your questions are in the sh, ls/stat, and cat manual pages, respectively.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell and prompt

I want to write a shell script which will change the current shell (say from csh to bsh) and my Prompt (say my name) as desired.pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SHYAM
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all, I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking? I tried changing it using PS1='my choice' it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it? also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change prompt

I have a Sun OS and at the moment the prompt is # and i want to change it to: root@server # can you help me please. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drogram
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change root prompt (Solaris)

Hello all. I was wondering if there is a way to change the root prompt. I am using Solaris 10 and would like to have the root prompt display the current directory along with 'SU' to indicate root status. What I have tried so far: /etc/passwd changed the root shell to korn with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to change the UNIX password prompt?

Hi guys, I got these 3 servers: a, b and c which I ssh from a to b/c. a:$ ssh userid@b Password: a:$ ssh userid@c userid@c's password: Notice that the password prompt is different (highlighted in bold) on both servers even though their SUN Solaris version the same, OpenSSH version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i change my bash prompt ?

It looks like, user@hostname:/auto/home3/user$ Desired, user@hostname$ I added following line in .bashrc, but still its same. export PS1=" $ " Please help me :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change password prompt format

Hello, I installed Kerberos on Red Hat. My testing tool checks for the prompt when user log-in. Unfortunately I don't have access to that testing tool so I have to fix somehow the prompt. My testing tool expects this format: login: XYZ Password: When I installed Kerberos I have this format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to change password prompt for Kerberos?

Hello, I installed Kerberos on Red Hat. My testing tool checks for the prompt when user log-in. Unfortunately I don't have access to that testing tool so I have to fix somehow the prompt. My testing tool expects this format: login: XYZ Password: When I installed Kerberos I have this format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change unix cmd display prompt?

I am new to to unix and I want to make my own basic shell. What is the code I can use to change the unix cmd console display? For example my unix display prompt says MyCompterName~, I want it to say WhatEverMan~ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: megaearth77
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies
PAM_GET_USER(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   PAM_GET_USER(3)

NAME
pam_get_user -- retrieve user name LIBRARY
Pluggable Authentication Module Library (libpam, -lpam) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_get_user(pam_handle_t *pamh, const char **user, const char *prompt); DESCRIPTION
The pam_get_user function returns the name of the target user, as specified to pam_start(3). If no user was specified, nor set using pam_set_item(3), pam_get_user will prompt for a user name. Either way, a pointer to the user name is stored in the location pointed to by the user argument. The prompt argument specifies a prompt to use if no user name is cached. If it is NULL, the PAM_USER_PROMPT item will be used. If that item is also NULL, a hardcoded default prompt will be used. Either way, the prompt is expanded using openpam_subst(3) before it is passed to the conversation function. If pam_get_user is called from a module and the user_prompt option is set in the policy file, the value of that option takes precedence over both the prompt argument and the PAM_USER_PROMPT item. RETURN VALUES
The pam_get_user function returns one of the following values: [PAM_BUF_ERR] Memory buffer error. [PAM_CONV_ERR] Conversation failure. [PAM_SYSTEM_ERR] System error. SEE ALSO
openpam_subst(3), pam(3), pam_get_authtok(3), pam_get_item(3), pam_set_item(3), pam_start(3), pam_strerror(3) STANDARDS
X/Open Single Sign-On Service (XSSO) - Pluggable Authentication Modules, June 1997. AUTHORS
The pam_get_user function and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and Network Associates Laboratories, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BSD
December 18, 2011 BSD