Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A command to split a file into two based on a string Post 302833701 by madrazzii on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 04:33:38 PM
Old 07-17-2013
Thank you. i did the first method and changed a little

awk '{print > "file.txt" susbtr($0,length-2) }' RAW

i did length -2 to get the TO, P1 etc appended to output files and also added ..txt hoping i would get fileT0.txt, fileP1.txt but i get file.txtT0, file.txtP1.

is there a way to have it saved as .txt extension when it outputs?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the String based on condition?

hi , I have a String str="/opt/ibm/lotus/ibw/latest" or ="/opt/lotus/ibw/latest" this value is dynamic..I want to split this string into 2 strings 1. /opt/ibm/lotus(/opt/lotus) this string must ends with "lotus" 2./ibw/latest can any body help me on this? Regards, sankar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: How to split up a file based on another?

I've got these 2 files, FILE.txt and SPLIT_BY.txt: FILE.txt contents: FILE01 FILE02 FILE03 FILE04 FILE05 FILE06 FILE07 FILE08 FILE09 FILE10 FILE11 FILE12 FILE13 FILE14 FILE15SPLIT_BY.txt contents: 2 5 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte711
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Command parse a file based on string.

AWK Command parse a file based on string. I am trying to write a shell script to parse a file based on a string and move the content of the file to another file. Here is scenario. File content below Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on size

Hi Friends, Below is my requirement. I have a file with the below structure. 0001A1.... 0001B1.. .... 0001L1 0002A1 0002B1 ...... 0002L1 .. the first 4 characters are the sequence numbers for a record, A record will start with A1 and end with L1 with same sequence number. Now the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to split the files based on the number of lines in it

Hello Friends, Can anyone help me for the below requirement. I am having a file called Input.txt. My requirement is first check the count that is wc -l input.txt If the result of the wc -l Input.txt is less than 10 then don't split the Input.txt file. Where as if Input.txt >= 10 the split... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya kumar
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count

KSH HP-SOL-Lin Cannot use xAWK I have several strings that are quite long and i want to break them down into smaller substrings. What I have String = "word1 word2 word3 word4 .....wordx" What I want String1="word1 word2" String2="word 3 word4" String3="word4 word5" Stringx="wordx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on records

I have to split a file based on number of lines and the below command works fine: split -l 2 Inputfile -d OutputfileMy input file contains header, detail and trailor info as below: H D D D D TMy split files for the above command contains: First File: H DSecond File: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Split File based on String?

hi , The scenario is like this, i have a large text files (max 5MB , about 5000 file per day ), Inside almost each line of this file there is a tag 3100.2.22.1 (represent Call_Type) , i need to generate many filess , each one with distinct (3100.2.22.1 Call_Type ) , and one more file to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File based on different conditions

I need to split the file Conditions: Ignore any record that either starts with 1 or 9 Split the file at position 404 , if position 404 is abc or def then write all the records in a file > File 1 , the remaining records should go in to a file > File 2 Further I want to split the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: protech
7 Replies
GET-IAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							GET-IAB(1)

NAME
get-iab - Fetch the arp-scan IAB file from the IEEE website SYNOPSIS
get-iab [options] DESCRIPTION
get-iab fetches the Ethernet IAB file from the IEEE website, and saves it in the format used by arp-scan. The IAB file contains all of the IABs (Individual Address Blocks) that have been registered with IEEE. Each IAB entry in the file speci- fies the first 36-bits of the 48-bit Ethernet hardware address, leaving the remaining 12-bits for use by the registering organisation. For example the IAB entry "0050C2003", registered to Microsoft, applies to any Ethernet hardware address from 00:50:c2:00:30:00 to 00:50:c2:00:3f:ff inclusive. Each IAB assignment represents a total of 2^12 (4,096) Ethernet addresses. Major Ethernet hardware vendors typically use an OUI registration rather than an IAB registration. See get-oui(1) for details. This script can be used to update the arp-scan IAB file from the latest data on the IEEE website. It is relatively rare to see Ethernet addresses from IAB registrations, so the IAB file is not as important as the OUI file. The IAB data is fetched from the URL http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt and the output file is saved to the file ieee-iab.txt in the current directory. The URL to fetch the data from can be changed with the -u option, and the output file name can be changed with the -f option. The ieee-iab.txt file that is produced by this script is used by arp-scan to determine the Ethernet card vendor from its hardware address. The directory that arp-scan will look for the ieee-iab.txt file depends on the options used when it was built. If it was built using the default options, then it will look in /usr/local/share/arp-scan. OPTIONS
-h Display a brief usage message and exit. -f <fn> Write the output to the specified file instead of the default ieee-iab.txt. -u <URL> Use the specified URL to fetch the raw IAB data from instead of the default http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt -v Display verbose progress messages. FILES
ieee-iab.txt The default output file. EXAMPLES
$ get-iab -v Renaming ieee-iab.txt to ieee-iab.txt.bak Fetching IAB data from http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt Fetched 230786 bytes Opening output file ieee-iab.txt 1535 IAB entries written to file ieee-iab.txt NOTES
get-iab is implemented in Perl, so you need to have the Perl interpreter installed on your system to use it. get-iab uses the LWP::Simple Perl module to fetch the data from the IEEE website. You must have this module installed on your system for it to work. This module is available on most distributions, often called libwww-perl. It is also available in source form from CPAN. You can use a proxy server by defining the http_proxy environment variable. AUTHOR
Roy Hills <Roy.Hills@nta-monitor.com> SEE ALSO
arp-scan(1) get-oui(1) arp-fingerprint(1) http://www.nta-monitor.com/wiki/ The arp-scan wiki page. March 30, 2007 GET-IAB(1)