Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Knowing the size and location of variables in a C program Post 302833697 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 04:30:15 PM
Old 07-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambria
So I need some help with this. Pardon me if I'm posting in the wrong forum, after some googling for my answer and finding nothing I found this forum. It seemed appropriate for what I was seeking. I just didnt find a forum that concerned the use of GDB. I'm learning to use the C language and GDB. What I don't understand is how the computer knows how big each piece of a program is in memory, and how I could find my variable's in memory using GDB.
To get nice debugging information like that, you have to build the executable with debugging information(i.e. -ggdb). This embeds lots of offsets and labels inside the program file for gdb's convenience.

This is also why gdb has trouble when it steps into code outside your program, like libc... Libraries are probably not built with debugging information, so details about their insides will be very limited.

Quote:
I mean if all memory is numbered how can anyone including the CPU know where a word or giant or w/e starts and ends?
To put it bluntly -- it doesn't. They all become hardcoded segment offsets, in the end. Without debugging information, you're left with detective work.

Quote:
If I wanted to find my variable in memory after setting a break point in it and accessing the $esp register how would I know where my variables began and ended?
If your executable wasn't built with debugging info, that'd mean detective work.

Last edited by Corona688; 07-17-2013 at 05:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dump program variables

Hi, Wish if could provide some clues. How do I dump all the C program variables(global) into say a file with their names and the values. So that when I restart the application again I could use this same file for reinitializing.Is this possible? Thanks, Reji (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rejise
1 Replies

2. Programming

finding stack location in C using program

Is there a way to find the address of stack memory writing a program? Please guide me (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacques83
12 Replies

3. Solaris

How to know the size of the program currently executing in memory

hey everybody, i am currently working on solaris 10 os on a m5000 server. my problem is when i want the exact size of a program in execution, i am unable to do it. earlier i thought the RSS field of prstat but because of its large size it cant be the size. pmap -x shows some output but it includes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryansheikh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment variables location.

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out where all of my environment variables are getting set. When I type env I get a whole list of them, about two pages full, yet I do not seem to find where they are initialized. I checked all of my .profile .login and .cshrc files (I do not seem to have any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gio001
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Small Program with variables

Hello Geniuses of the unix world. please help, stupid chemist. I have the following script that I need to create a file. Doesnt make sense unless i explain this way: I need to create a file called summary.in I would like all these lines to be inserted however in the command line I would like the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gingburg
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

program location

Hello all, one of application on system requires that "uname" program is in "/usr/uname" location. I can find uname in "/usr/bin/uname" location. Is it possible to present the /usr/bin/uname as that it was located in /usr/uname location? Thank you in advanced, M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kreno
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to use variables in system command in a C program

this method is not working.I am having a problem to use variables in system command. i cannot use the variables in system command. this how i was did system("whereis command"); this method works very fine. but, i want use the commands as variable. that means i want only pass the variables.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanda2601
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Knowing when a different program modifies a file

so i was testing something on a test box running linux. i manually vi'ed the /var/log/messages file. and i noticed, the file immediately stopped being updated. it wasn't until i restarted the syslog process that events started being recorded in it again. so that tells me, the syslog process... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
20 Replies

9. Programming

Size of memory used by a program

Hello, Here is a portion of my code: a=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); b=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); c=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) c= rand(); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) b=rand(); ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl to download file from subdivx.com after following location without knowing the file name/extens

This question could be specific to the site subdivx.com In the past, I've been able to download a file following location using cURL but there is something about subdivx.com that's different and can't figure out how to get it to work. I tried the following directly in the terminal with no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MoonD
5 Replies
gdb(1)								     GNU Tools								    gdb(1)

NAME
gdb - The GNU Debugger SYNOPSIS
gdb [-help] [-nx] [-q] [-batch] [-cd=dir] [-f] [-b bps] [-tty=dev] [-s symfile] [-e prog] [-se prog] [-c core] [-x cmds] [-d dir] [prog [core|procID]] gdb [options] --args prog [arguments] gdbtui [options] DESCRIPTION
The purpose of a debugger such as GDB is to allow you to see what is going on ``inside'' another program while it executes--or what another program was doing at the moment it crashed. GDB can do four main kinds of things (plus other things in support of these) to help you catch bugs in the act: o Start your program, specifying anything that might affect its behavior. o Make your program stop on specified conditions. o Examine what has happened, when your program has stopped. o Change things in your program, so you can experiment with correcting the effects of one bug and go on to learn about another. You can use GDB to debug programs written in C, C++, and Modula-2. Fortran support will be added when a GNU Fortran compiler is ready. GDB is invoked with the shell command gdb. Once started, it reads commands from the terminal until you tell it to exit with the GDB com- mand quit. You can get online help from gdb itself by using the command help. You can run gdb with no arguments or options; but the most usual way to start GDB is with one argument or two, specifying an executable program as the argument: gdb program You can also start with both an executable program and a core file specified: gdb program core You can, instead, specify a process ID as a second argument, if you want to debug a running process: gdb program 1234 would attach GDB to process 1234 (unless you also have a file named `1234'; GDB does check for a core file first). Here are some of the most frequently needed GDB commands: break [file:]function Set a breakpoint at function (in file). run [arglist] Start your program (with arglist, if specified). bt Backtrace: display the program stack. print expr Display the value of an expression. c Continue running your program (after stopping, e.g. at a breakpoint). next Execute next program line (after stopping); step over any function calls in the line. edit [file:]function look at the program line where it is presently stopped. list [file:]function type the text of the program in the vicinity of where it is presently stopped. step Execute next program line (after stopping); step into any function calls in the line. help [name] Show information about GDB command name, or general information about using GDB. quit Exit from GDB. For full details on GDB, see Using GDB: A Guide to the GNU Source-Level Debugger, by Richard M. Stallman and Roland H. Pesch. The same text is available online as the gdb entry in the info program. OPTIONS
Any arguments other than options specify an executable file and core file (or process ID); that is, the first argument encountered with no associated option flag is equivalent to a `-se' option, and the second, if any, is equivalent to a `-c' option if it's the name of a file. Many options have both long and short forms; both are shown here. The long forms are also recognized if you truncate them, so long as enough of the option is present to be unambiguous. (If you prefer, you can flag option arguments with `+' rather than `-', though we illustrate the more usual convention.) All the options and command line arguments you give are processed in sequential order. The order makes a difference when the `-x' option is used. -b bps Set the line speed (baud rate or bits per second) of any serial interface used by GDB for remote debugging. -batch Run in batch mode. Exit with status 0 after processing all the command files specified with `-x' (and `.gdbinit', if not inhib- ited). Exit with nonzero status if an error occurs in executing the GDB commands in the command files. Batch mode may be useful for running GDB as a filter, for example to download and run a program on another computer; in order to make this more useful, the message Program exited normally. (which is ordinarily issued whenever a program running under GDB control terminates) is not issued when running in batch mode. -c FILE, -core=FILE Use file file as a core dump to examine. -cd=directory Run GDB using directory as its working directory, instead of the current directory. -d DIRECTORY, -directory=DIRECTORY Add directory to the path to search for source files. -e FILE, -exec=FILE Use file file as the executable file to execute when appropriate, and for examining pure data in conjunction with a core dump. -f, -fullname Emacs sets this option when it runs GDB as a subprocess. It tells GDB to output the full file name and line number in a standard, recognizable fashion each time a stack frame is displayed (which includes each time the program stops). This recognizable format looks like two ` 32' characters, followed by the file name, line number and character position separated by colons, and a newline. The Emacs-to-GDB interface program uses the two ` 32' characters as a signal to display the source code for the frame. -h, -help List all options, with brief explanations. -n, -nx Do not execute commands from any `.gdbinit' initialization files. Normally, the commands in these files are executed after all the command options and arguments have been processed. -s FILE, -symbols=FILE Read symbol table from file file. -se=file Read symbol table from file file and use it as the executable file. q, -quiet ``Quiet''. Do not print the introductory and copyright messages. These messages are also suppressed in batch mode. -tty=device Run using device for your program's standard input and output. --args Pass arguments after the program name to the program when it is run. -tui Run GDB using a text (console) user interface. -write Enable writing into executable and core files. -x FILE, -command=FILE Execute GDB commands from file file. SEE ALSO
`gdb' entry in info; Using GDB: A Guide to the GNU Source-Level Debugger, Richard M. Stallman and Roland H. Pesch, July 1991. COPYING
Copyright (c) 1991, 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. GNU Tools 22may2002 gdb(1)