Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A Simple Clock, Well Maybe Not That Simple... Post 302833685 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 03:57:10 PM
Old 07-17-2013
I kept looking at this, since it seemed a little off somehow... Writing the same function 11 times with slight changes in each, is work fit for a computer. Why not use the same function, with different inputs?

Like...
Code:
# 11 functions with one use
print_lines_for_one
print_lines_for_two
print_lines_for_three

# One function with 11 uses

LINES_FOR_ONE="
##.
.#.
.#.
.#.
###"

print_lines ${LINES_FOR_ONE}
print_lines ${LINES_FOR_TWO}
print_lines ${LINES_FOR_THREE}

And then inside, you can have a loop:

Code:
print_lines() {
        for X in "$@"
        do
                plot
                printf "$p$X"
        done
}

You could move 'plot' inside it completely, actually.

Last edited by Corona688; 07-17-2013 at 05:08 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if

Hi, I have a variable (x) that holds a file name - I need to write this: if x matches the patern *ABC* or the pattern DEF*T then action A else action B fi how to do that? Also, how can i change the or test to AND test? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

3. Programming

Simple C question... Hopefully it's simple

Hello. I'm a complete newbie to C programming. I have a C program that wasn't written by me where I need to write some wrappers around it to automate and make it easier for a client to use. The problem is that the program accepts standard input to control the program... I'm hoping to find a simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xeed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple to you not simple to me pattern matchin help

hey all, im new and my first question is: say i have a word "blahblah" how do i get and replace the last letter of the word with say k, so replace the h with a k. However you cant just replace the h it has to change the LAST LETTER of the word. Cheers In advance. :b: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aleks001
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Something simple, I think...

Hello to all, I have a very simple script that Ii run to CD into a specific directory. When I run it without a dot notation or shell notation (as a subshell, therefore), the script does not actually change the directory. But how do I avoid using the dot or shell notation and still be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: confutatis
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need very simple help

i have a part of script that is not getting me what i want? Below the script count=5 count1=1 if then echo $count1 count1=`expr $count1 + 1` fi -------------------------------------------------------- The result i want is 1 2 3 4 5 But its giving me result as only 1. Plz help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

9. Programming

Simple Chess Clock

I am trying to implement a simple chess clock. It should have the following options: start, stop, reset, read. Reset will set the time to zero Start will start the clock Stop will stop the clock My problem is that I want that start continues counting the time from the time it had when it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies
PLOT(3F)																  PLOT(3F)

NAME
plot: openpl et al. - f77 library interface to plot(3X) libraries. SYNOPSIS
subroutine openpl() subroutine erase() subroutine label(str) character str*(*) subroutine line(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) subroutine box(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) Draw a rectangle and leave the cursor at ( ix2,iy2). subroutine circle(ix, iy, ir) subroutine arc(ix, iy, ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine move(ix, iy) subroutine cont(ix, iy) subroutine point(ix, iy) subroutine linemd(str) character str*(*) subroutine space(ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine clospl() DESCRIPTION
These are interface subroutines, in the library -lf77plot, allowing f77 users to call the plot(3X) graphics routines which generate graphic output in a relatively device-independent manner. The f77 subroutine names are the same as the C function names except that linemod and closepl have been shortened to linemd and clospl . See plot(5) and plot(3X) for a description of their effect. Only the first 255 character in string arguments to label and linemd are used. This library must be specified in the f77(1) command before the device specific graphics library; for example, to compile and load a FOR- TRAN program in prog.f to run on a Tektronix 4014 terminal: f77 prog.f -lf77plot -l4014 See plot(3X) for a complete list of device specific plotting libraries. SEE ALSO
plot(5), plot(1G), plot(3X), graph(1G) 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 30, 1986 PLOT(3F)