Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Looping with wait in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Looping with wait in UNIX Post 302833381 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 17th of July 2013 03:38:28 AM
Old 07-17-2013
Is this a homework assignment? If not, please explain what is going on here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About wait

Hi everyone I'm novice at Unix programming and I hope to post this thread in the correct place. I have the following doubts: 1 Suppose we have some processes which are B's children process and another process A which has no relation with B and its children. Can A do wait () for a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait ${!}

In one of the shell script (Where abinitio graph is called), the last line is wait ${!}. What does this wait ${!} mean ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use looping in unix

Can someone help me coding a loop (like for loop in C)? I mean what is the syntax....? My requirement is, i have to send every successive string searched using awk to a csv file till the end of the file..Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goutam_igate
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

WAIT

Can someone explain what is the status says WAIT on performance monitoring command.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait example

Hi Gurus, Some questions regarding wait. I have tried searching in this forum for threads on wait but not completely got what I am looking for. Background: One script (.sh) that starts/calls a reference to an application's executable and submits a batch job to it. Objective is to wait... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Call a UNIX script inside another and dont wait for it

Hi I have two scripts script1.sh and script2.sh(say this script is a long running). I want to call script2.sh inside and script1.sh,but when i call script2.sh i dont want to wait for script2 to complete and want this to run in back ground and go on next commands in script 1.sh and finally at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through records in db and processing them in UNIX

Hi, I want to read multiple records from oracle database table and then based on each record I need to do some file modifications in UNIX. I'm not sure how do I process each record from DB in UNIX.Below is the code snippet. sqlplus user/pwd@DEV for i IN (select * from table) loop -- for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prats_7678
2 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)