Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Show Percentage Compression in GZIP Post 302833143 by vinay4889 on Tuesday 16th of July 2013 10:47:50 AM
Old 07-16-2013
Lightbulb Show Percentage Compression in GZIP

Hi,

I used gzip command to compress a huge tar file. But I saw that compression % was more than 100%.
It might have inflated instead , probably because tar file is already packed properly.

So I thought of unzippping it. Now after unzip I expected the tar file to be of less size than .tar.gz file. But ,to my surprise it was more than that. Does that mean gzip actually reduced size eventhough , it show % compression more than 100%?

Here are statistics:

HTML Code:
after gzip
a.tar.gz  -  20,915,558,979

after gunzip
a.tar        - 22,213,027,840

Compression % = 175.7 
(Sorry, I forgot to check size of original tar , means tar before I zipped)

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated Smilie.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compression utilities

I've noticed bzip2 gives a little bit better compression than gzip. So...I'm curious...what's gives the best compression out of all the compression utilities? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move with compression

How can I move a file and compress it at the same time? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Predictor compression

Hi everybody, Does anybody know,whether linux-2.4.20-8 supports predictor1 compression in PPP protocol support,as i was able to see there were only two compression techniques that r being supported i.e bsd and deflate compression from "make menuconfig" under network device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.z file compression

Hello, I have a .z file which i understand to be UNIX. I'm on PC (no UNIX boxes) and have tried many different unzipping programs to extract this .z file, but only PicoZip has allowed me to view what is inside (telling me, i think, that it's not corrupt), but i have not been able to extract... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gonecat
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Un-compression types...

Hi Folks, As I am familiar wih both types compresion forms: gun-zip and .rpm. My questions is how do I uncompress gunz.zip type? As the .rpm I can double click and it will extract...Can someone shed some light on this and thank you... M (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mombo_Z
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Compression (gzip) for image analysis

Hi Everyone, I am a Ph.D student working on some image processing tasks and I have run into an interesting problem that I thought someone on here might have an idea about. This paper discusses a method to compare two images based upon the amount they can be compressed. Sorry, since this is my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudigarude
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding gzip compression to a connection using nc

Hello everyone, As the title suggests, I am attempting to test adding gzip compression to a connection to an application I am testing. Currently I have the application set up with httptunnel, which forwards the connection to the remote host. I would like to use a script to intercept the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
5 Replies

9. Linux

Best Compression technique ?

Hi all, I am working on a sample backup code, where i read the files per 7200 bytes and send it to server. Before sending to server, i compress each 7200 bytes using zlib compression algorithm using dictionary max length of 1.5 MB . I find zlib is slow. Can anyone recommend me a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvss
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar gzip compression rate

How good is the compression rate of gzip when you use tar with the gzip option? I am pretty amazed that a 1 GB file was reduced to 1019K. This is what I did. tar -cvf tar_test.tar.gz -T /list_of_files ls -hl -rw-r-----. 1 owner group 19 Jul 23 16:00 list_of_files -rw-r-----. 1 owner group... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
PRISTINE-TAR(1) 						   pristine-tar 						   PRISTINE-TAR(1)

NAME
pristine-tar - regenerate pristine tarballs SYNOPSIS
pristine-tar [-vdk] gendelta tarball delta pristine-tar [-vdk] gentar delta tarball pristine-tar [-vdk] [-m message] commit tarball [upstream] pristine-tar [-vdk] checkout tarball pristine-tar [-vdk] list DESCRIPTION
pristine-tar can regenerate an exact copy of a pristine upstream tarball using only a small binary delta file and the contents of the tarball, which are typically kept in an upstream branch in version control. The delta file is designed to be checked into version control along-side the upstream branch, thus allowing Debian packages to be built entirely using sources in version control, without the need to keep copies of upstream tarballs. pristine-tar supports compressed tarballs, calling out to pristine-gz(1), pristine-bz2(1), and pristine-xz(1) to produce the pristine gzip, bzip2, and xz files. COMMANDS
pristine-tar gendelta tarball delta This takes the specified upstream tarball, and generates a small binary delta file that can later be used by pristine-tar gentar to recreate the tarball. If the delta filename is "-", it is written to standard output. pristine-tar gentar delta tarball This takes the specified delta file, and the files in the current directory, which must have identical content to those in the upstream tarball, and uses these to regenerate the pristine upstream tarball. If the delta filename is "-", it is read from standard input. pristine-tar commit tarball [upstream] pristine-tar commit generates a pristine-tar delta file for the specified tarball, and commits it to version control. The pristine-tar checkout command can later be used to recreate the original tarball based only on the information stored in version control. The upstream parameter specifies the tag or branch that contains the same content that is present in the tarball. This defaults to "refs/heads/upstream", or if there's no such branch, any branch matching "upstream". The name of the tree it points to will be recorded for later use by pristine-tar checkout. Note that the content does not need to be 100% identical to the content of the tarball, but if it is not, additional space will be used in the delta file. The delta files are stored in a branch named "pristine-tar", with filenames corresponding to the input tarball, with ".delta" appended. This branch is created or updated as needed to add each new delta. pristine-tar checkout tarball This regenerates a copy of the specified tarball using information previously saved in version control by pristine-tar commit. pristine-tar list This lists tarballs that pristine-tar is able to checkout from version control. OPTIONS
-v --verbose Verbose mode, show each command that is run. -d --debug Debug mode. -k --keep Don't clean up the temporary directory on exit. -m message --message=message Use this option to specify a custom commit message to pristine-tar commit. EXAMPLES
Suppose you maintain the hello package, in a git repository. You have just created a tarball of the release, hello-1.0.tar.gz, which you will upload to a "forge" site. You want to ensure that, if the "forge" loses the tarball, you can always recreate exactly that same tarball. And you'd prefer not to keep copies of tarballs for every release, as that could use a lot of disk space when hello gets the background mp3s and user-contributed levels you are planning for version 2.0. The solution is to use pristine-tar to commit a delta file that efficiently stores enough information to reproduce the tarball later. cd hello git tag -s 1.0 pristine-tar commit ../hello-1.0.tar.gz 1.0 Remember to tell git to push both the pristine-tar branch, and your tag: git push --all --tags Now it is a year later. The worst has come to pass; the "forge" lost all its data, you deleted the tarballs to make room for bug report emails, and you want to regenerate them. Happily, the git repository is still available. git clone git://github.com/joeyh/hello.git cd hello pristine-tar checkout ../hello-1.0.tar.gz LIMITATIONS
Only tarballs, gzipped tarballs, bzip2ed tarballs, and xzed tarballs are currently supported. Currently only the git revision control system is supported by the "checkout" and "commit" commands. It's ok if the working copy is not clean or has uncommitted changes, or has changes staged in the index; none of that will be touched by "checkout" or "commit". ENVIRONMENT
TMPDIR Specifies a location to place temporary files, other than the default. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> Licensed under the GPL, version 2 or above. perl v5.14.2 2013-06-01 PRISTINE-TAR(1)