Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk not working for calculating no of lines with criteria Post 302832871 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 16th of July 2013 01:05:02 AM
Old 07-16-2013
Shell scripts aren't particularly well suited to skipping over chunks of data that may contain data that is binary (rather than textual) contents of a file. Even if all of the files that are included in the tar file are text files, the shell and awk aren't necessarily a good fit for this job. Instead of showing us a broken awk script that doesn't do what you want to do; why don't you tell us what you are trying to do and show us output from the command:
Code:
tar -tvf filename.tar.gz

or if that doesn't work:
Code:
zcat filename.tar.gz | tar -tvf -

and show us exactly what output you want your shell/awk script to produce when given this gzipped tar archive (or the unzipped tar archive) as input?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

selection criteria in Access query not working

Attached are views of the components of a dummy Access database. The database represents an example of the problem that has reared its ugly head. The query example is a simple "Selection" query, which, after getting it to work, will become an "Append" query. The selected data will be appended... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hipockets
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new lines based on search criteria

Hi all! A bit of background: I am trying to create a script that formats SQL statements. I have gotten so far as to add new lines based on certain match criteria like commas, keywords etc. In the process, I end up adding newlines where I don't want. For example: substr(colName, 1, 10)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayarkay
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines which match certain criteria

Hi, I have code which is like this <TABLE name="UsageDetail_24> <ROW> <Date24><!]></Date24> <Time24><!]></Time24> <Destination24><!]></Destination24> <Rate24><!]></Rate24> <Duration24><!]></Duration24> <Cost24><!]></Cost24> <Allowance24><!]></Allowance24> </ROW> <ROW>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legolad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating 12th working day

I have a business requirement in my project where I need to calculate the 12th working day of every month. Can any please tell me the solution to my problem. Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ami_smart
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk calculating between lines

Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this... I want to read input.dat line by line, while doing a simple calculation between the second column value of the current line and the second column value of the next line (like a difference). input is something like this: 0 3.945757 1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: origamisven
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines that match certain criteria

Hi all I have a text file with the following format: id col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 col7 ... row1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 row2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 row3 0 0 0 0 0 0.2 0 row4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 row5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 row6 0 0 0 0.1 0 0 0 row7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 row8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 row9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ... The file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gautig
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Lines based on criteria

Hello, Need help with following scenario. A file contains following text: {beginning of file} New: This is a new record and it is not on same line. Since I have lost touch with script take this challenge and bring all this in one line. New: Hello losttouch. You seem to be struggling... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: losttouch
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select lines from a file based on a criteria

Hi I need to select lines from a txt file, I have got a line starting with ZMIO:MSISDN= and after a few line I have another line starting with 'MOBILE STATION ISDN NUMBER' and another one starting with 'VLR-ADDRESS' I need to copy these three lines as three different columns in a separate... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlcm sam
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need To Delete Lines Based On Search Criteria

Hi All, I have following input file. I wish to retain those lines which match multiple search criteria. The search criteria is stored in a variable seperated from each other by comma(,). SEARCH_CRITERIA = "REJECT, DUPLICATE" Input File: ERROR,MYFILE_20130214_11387,9,37.75... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
3 Replies
tar(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    tar(4)

NAME
tar - format of tar tape archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure produced by (see tar(1)) is as follows (the array size defined by the constants is shown on the right): All characters are represented in ASCII. There is no padding used in the header block; all fields are contiguous. The fields magic, uname, and gname are null-terminated character strings. The fields name, linkname, and prefix are null-terminated char- acter strings except when all characters in the array contain non-null characters, including the last character. The version field is two bytes containing the characters (zero-zero). The typeflag contains a single character. All other fields are leading-zero-filled octal numbers in ASCII. Each numeric field is terminated by one or more space or null characters. The name and the prefix fields produce the pathname of the file. The hierarchical relationship of the file is retained by specifying the pathname as a path prefix, with a slash character and filename as the suffix. If the prefix contains non-null characters, prefix, a slash character, and name are concatenated without modification or addition of new characters to produce a new pathname. In this manner, path- names of at most 256 characters can be supported. If a pathname does not fit in the space provided, the format-creating utility notifies the user of the error, and no attempt is made to store any part of the file, header, or data on the medium. SEE ALSO
tar(1) STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
tar(4)