Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simply question about capturing output to /dev/tty Post 302832833 by Chubler_XL on Monday 15th of July 2013 10:03:18 PM
Old 07-15-2013
You could use script:

Code:
script -q ksh -c 'echo $RANDOM > /dev/tty' > random_value
cat random_value

or gnuscreen:
Code:
screen -dmS getlicense ksh
screen -p 0 -S getlicense -X log on
screen -p 0 -S getlicense -X stuff 'echo \$RANDOM > /dev/tty\n'
sleep 1
screen -p 0 -S getlicense -X log off
screen -p 0 -S getlicense -X quit
cat screenlog.0

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 07-15-2013 at 11:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot open "/dev/tty"

Hi, When it proccesing the backup with cpio report this message: Cannot open "/dev/tty" and cancel de backup. Cuando se procesa la tarea del backup reporta el error: Cannot open "/dev/tty" y cancela el backup y no termina correctamente, a que se devera esta advertencia. Gracias. Thacks.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmr88
3 Replies

2. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

3. Programming

sniff /dev/tty

hello all, Being root, I would like to log user activity (also multiple root activity), i don't really like history file based logging, lets assume that users have access to their .profile. I would like to write a monitoring daemon in C that would capture /dev/ttys, so I need to do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayward
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help Understanding Output and question about /dev/

Hi, I am having some problems understanding the info from the following output: Disk /dev/sda: 17849 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0 Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System /dev/sda1 *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

5. Programming

What happens on opening /dev/tty failure?

Since the existence of /dev/tty is not guaranteed, what happens when an attempt is made to open /dev/tty and there's no controlling terminal? Will it fail, or open /dev/null instead? Or do something else? So is checking for NULL in the code below a safe way of checking whether opening... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from terminal/keyboard > /dev/tty

Hi, I need to provide more than one character to "> /dev/tty" through terminal/keyboard input, I have this: ok=false while do echo " Enter r1 to reformat " > /dev/tty read choice case $choice in ) echo " bla bla bla " ;; done However, in this way,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

7. Programming

Create a pipe to /dev/tty

Hello everybody: I have a child process which reads a password from /dev/tty, as far as I know file descriptors for the child process can be seen by using lsof, so I want to connect to such device in order to send the password through a pipe, how could I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/tty find last modified time

what can I use to find the last modified time of a /dev/tty ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading password from /dev/tty

hi, From the below script: ##########################################pwd_auth.sh######################################################################################## #Author: Pandeeswaran Bhoopathy #Written on:26th Jan 2012 2:00PM #This script describes the feature of stty and illustrates... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
3 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Capturing console (/dev/ttyS1) logs

Hi, I have been trying to capture console logs from the init script. When the ramfs is mounted, i check if usb is connected , if conncted, i mount it and redirected the console logs like so: cat & /dev/ttyS1 >> /mnt/logs.txt I'm getting /bin/sh : /dev/ttyS1 :permission denied ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
8 Replies
print(1)							   User Commands							  print(1)

NAME
print - shell built-in function to output characters to the screen or window SYNOPSIS
ksh print [ -Rnprsu [n]] [arg...] DESCRIPTION
ksh The shell output mechanism. With no flags or with flag - or -, the arguments are printed on standard output as described by echo(1). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n suppresses new-line from being added to the output. -R -r (raw mode) ignore the escape conventions of echo. The -R option will print all subsequent arguments and options other than -n. -p causes the arguments to be written onto the pipe of the process spawned with |& instead of standard output. -s causes the arguments to be written onto the history file instead of standard output. -u [ n ] flag can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit number n on which the output will be placed. The default is 1. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. >0 Output file is not open for writing. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), ksh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 print(1)