Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retaining file versions based on input parameter Post 302832747 by pchang on Monday 15th of July 2013 03:48:42 PM
Old 07-15-2013
Retaining file versions based on input parameter

Hello Forum.

I have the following files in one directory:

Code:
abc_july01_2013.txt
abc_july02_2013.txt
abc_july03_2013.txt
abc_july04_2013.txt
abc_july05_2013.txt
abc_july06_2013.txt
abc_july07_2013.txt
abc_july08_2013.txt

If I want to be able to keep the last 5 versions of the file and delete the rest so that all that remains is:

Code:
abc_july04_2013.txt
abc_july05_2013.txt
abc_july06_2013.txt
abc_july07_2013.txt
abc_july08_2013.txt

Then the following code will accomplish this:
Code:
rm -f `ls -tp abc* | grep -v "/$" | awk '{ if (NR > 5) print; }'`

But I don't want to hard-code the # of versions (which is 5 in this case). I want to be able to pass in a parameter value to the command so that it's more flexible. Is there an easy way that it can be done?

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 07-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: More code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Get the File Input from Parameter

pdir=`pwd` if ; then echo current directory $pdir ls -altr echo fi for f in $* do # directory if ; then echo current directory $f cd $f ls -latr echo fi # but you can test file/dir # regular file only if ; then echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass input and output file as parameter to awk script

Hi, i am new to awk. I am using csv2pipe script(shown below) BEGIN { FS=SUBSEP; OFS="|" } { result = setcsv($0, ",") print } # setcsv(str, sep) - parse CSV (MS specification) input # str, the string to be parsed. (Most likely $0.) # sep, the separator between the values. # #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskarjha178
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading from a file(passing the file as input parameter)

hi I have a shell script say primary.sh . There is a file called params my scenario is primary.sh should read all the values and echo it for example i should pass like $primary.sh params output would be Abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting output retaining the input

Hi Guys, I am trying to redirect output from a file to another file while retaining the contents of the input file. For ex: cat /tmp/Out1.cfg > test.txt Now, test.txt would contain the value of Out1.cfg.,ie say for ex "12" What i require is to have the value as "/tmp/Out1.cfg 12" in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split the file based on the 2nd column passing as a parameter

I am unable to spit the file based on the 2nd column passing as a parameter with awk command. Source file: “100”,”customer information”,”10000” “200”,”customer information”,”50000” “300”,”product information”,”40000” script: the command is not allowing to pass the parameters with the awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: number10
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move input file based on condition

Hello, I have File1 in a directory A, a File2 in a directory B. If the File2 is not empty Then I have to move File1 from directory A to a directory archive Else no action. Is it possible to do this from one command line? Thank you in advance for your answers. Madi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelMady
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the ipaddress and align based on the input file

Hi All, I have a file contains below contents, "interfacename/subnet: public (or) interfacename/subnet:cluster_interconnect" "en2"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en5"/10.185.81.0:cluster_interconnect,"en6"/169.181.146.0:public... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file based off user input then create new file

In the below bash a file is downloaded when the program is opened and then that file is searched based on user input and the result is written to a new file. For example, the bash is opened and the download.txt is downloaded, the user then enters the id (NA04520). The id is used to search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How pass the input parameter to a file in the script ?

OS version: RHEL 6.7 myTextFile.txt file is referred within Script1.sh script, I only execute Script1.sh and I want the input variable to be passed inside myTextFile.txt . Any idea how I can do this ? $ cat script1.sh cat myTextFile.txt $ cat myTextFile.txt $1 Requirement1.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need list of input and output parameter of task in a text file, using shell script

//file begin ===== //some code task abcd_; input x; input y,z; //some comment output w; //some comment reg p; integer q; begin //some code end endtask : abcd_ //some code //file end ===== expected output from above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishifrnds
1 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)