Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reversing text order of each line of a file in UNIX Post 302832689 by Scrutinizer on Monday 15th of July 2013 12:49:42 PM
Old 07-15-2013
With awk:
Code:
awk '{n=split($0,F); for(i in F) $i=F[n-i+1]}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

output string in reversing order

If I have string { I_love_shell_scripts} anyone knows how to have output {stpircs_llehs_evol_I} by using shell and perl ?I know in perl, there is reverse() funcation, but can it be done by not using reverse()? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing file order using SED

Im trying to develop a shell script that will change the content order of the file. For example I have a file that says a b c d I want to change this to be d c b a Im trying to use sed to this by reading the file and then inserting each line at the top #!/usr/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing a line

Hi, I could not find this anywhere and I am wondering if someone knows a quick way of doing this. So heres the problem... I have a row that looks like this (an example): 5 4 3 2 1 What I want to do is reverse it so it looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 Does anyone know the simple unix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reversing order of lines in a file

how can i reverse the line order in text files? (but total number of the lines is not constant ) for example i have a file like this: line1 line2 line3 . . lineN i wantto make it like this: lineN . . . line3 (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
26 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reversing a line based on column

Hi, I have a file that looks like this (tab seperated): read - DFHJ read1 - IOPE read2 + AAAB read3 + MMMN Basically what i want to do is reverse column 3 if column 2 has a - but leave it if its + so the output would look like this: read - JHFD read1 - EPOI read2 + AAAB... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reversing line and word order using awk

Hello, I am new to awk and I was wandering if I could reverse line and word order from a text file using awk. I figured out how to do them both separately, but can't quite figure out how to mix them. Example: Input file: dog cat mouse 1 2 3 I am new to awk Output of the awk program:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blink_w
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending a column of numbers in ascending order to a text file

I have a text file where I want to append a column of numbers in ascending orders. Input: 57 abc 25 def 32 ghi 54 jkl Output:57 abc 57 abc 1 25 def 2 32 ghi 3 54 jkl 4 How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
11 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hmmm I think I found the correct subforum to ask my question... I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert UNIX text file in Windows to recognize line breaks

Hi all, I have some text files that I prepared in vi some time ago, and now I want to open and edit them with Windows Notepad. I don't have a Unix terminal at the moment so I need to do the conversion in Windows. Is there a way to do this? Or just reinsert thousands of line breaks again :eek: ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frys_hp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script UNIX to read text file line by line

i have a text file as belows, it includes 2 columns, 1st is the column name, 2nd is the file_name data_file.txt column_name file_name col1 file1 col2 file2 col3 file1 col4 file1 col5 file2 now, i would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tester111
4 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)