Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cleaning up incorrect/unknown characters Post 302832541 by m69w on Monday 15th of July 2013 05:30:33 AM
Old 07-15-2013
Thanks for pointing this out. I've tried different combinations but didn't get much luck. Looks like the original charset wasn't utf-8 after all. Perhaps is it set internally by the app generating the xml files.

Following Corona688's suggestion i think i'm just going to delete the unwanted character using
Code:
 tr -d '\031'

It seems to be the only one that gives trouble (for now) so removing it this way is the easiest solution.

Thanks all for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

doing some spring cleaning....

USERS="me you jim joe sue" for user in ${USERS}; do rmuser -p $user usrdir=`cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` rm -fr `cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` echo Deleting: $user '\t' REMOVING: $usrdir done This is for AIX ONLY!!! but easily ported to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Database cleaning software

Hi everybody, I have been given a task to find the names of some products that can clean up databases by removing confidential information. The situation is that a client imports data from public sources (government websites, etc.) but that this data sometimes includes things like Social... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhfrommn
0 Replies

3. SCO

Tape drive cleaning

Hello everyone, First, thank you anyone who might be able to help : ) !! here it is, I am using SCO at my business, and I back up everything to a tape drive. I want to do my cleaning of the drive, and i put in the cartridge to the drive, it recognizes it yet it will not engage the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardHeadd
5 Replies

4. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK Data Cleaning

Hello, I am trying to analyze data I recently ran, and the only way to efficiently clean up the data is by using an awk file. I am very new to awk and am having great difficulty with it. In $8 and $9, for example, I am trying to delete numbers that contain 1. I cannot find any tutorials that... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: carmar87
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File cleaning

HI , I am getting the source data as below. Source Data CDR_Data,,,,, F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6 5,5,6,7,8,7 6,6,g,,, 7,7,76,,, 8,8,gt,,, 9,9,df ,d,d,d ,,,,, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wangkc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning the file

Hi, I have a file with multiple rows. each row has 8 columns. Column 8 has entries separated by commas. I want to exclude all the rows in which column 8 has more than 3 commas. 1234#0/1 - ABC_1234 3 ATGCATGCATGC HHHIIIGIHVF 1 49:T>C,60:T>C,78:C>A,76:G>T,65:T>G Thanks, Diya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaning output using awk

I have some small problem with my code. data.html <TD class="statuscol2">c</TD> <TD class="statuscol3">18</TD> <TD class="statuscol4"><SPAN TITLE="#04">test4</SPAN></TD> <TD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
4 Replies
unknown(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							unknown(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
unknown - Handle attempts to use non-existent commands SYNOPSIS
unknown cmdName ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is invoked by the Tcl interpreter whenever a script tries to invoke a command that doesn't exist. The implementation of unknown isn't part of the Tcl core; instead, it is a library procedure defined by default when Tcl starts up. You can override the default unknown to change its functionality. If the Tcl interpreter encounters a command name for which there is not a defined command, then Tcl checks for the existence of a command named unknown. If there is no such command, then the interpreter returns an error. If the unknown command exists, then it is invoked with arguments consisting of the fully-substituted name and arguments for the original non-existent command. The unknown command typically does things like searching through library directories for a command procedure with the name cmdName, or expanding abbreviated command names to full-length, or automatically executing unknown commands as sub-processes. In some cases (such as expanding abbreviations) unknown will change the original command slightly and then (re-)execute it. The result of the unknown command is used as the result for the original non-existent command. The default implementation of unknown behaves as follows. It first calls the auto_load library procedure to load the command. If this succeeds, then it executes the original command with its original arguments. If the auto-load fails then unknown calls auto_execok to see if there is an executable file by the name cmd. If so, it invokes the Tcl exec command with cmd and all the args as arguments. If cmd can't be auto-executed, unknown checks to see if the command was invoked at top-level and outside of any script. If so, then unknown takes two additional steps. First, it sees if cmd has one of the following three forms: !!, !event, or ^old^new?^?. If so, then unknown carries out history substitution in the same way that csh would for these constructs. Finally, unknown checks to see if cmd is a unique abbrevia- tion for an existing Tcl command. If so, it expands the command name and executes the command with the original arguments. If none of the above efforts has been able to execute the command, unknown generates an error return. If the global variable auto_noload is defined, then the auto-load step is skipped. If the global variable auto_noexec is defined then the auto-exec step is skipped. Under normal circum- stances the return value from unknown is the return value from the command that was eventually executed. SEE ALSO
info(n), proc(n) KEYWORDS
error, non-existent command Tcl unknown(n)