Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: / is full
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat / is full Post 302832245 by RudiC on Saturday 13th of July 2013 02:55:09 PM
Old 07-13-2013
I guess it's the file system containing / (and other (sub-) directories) that has become full. If you can't login normally anymore, try
a) to do a single user login
b) to boot a rescue disk
and delete / move out (to external drives) obsolete files in e.g. /tmp, /var, or other log file directories.
If that's impossible, show more evidence like error msgs, so we can get the whole picture.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/ is full HELP

Hi.. i am having a problem, for some reason my / directory is 100 % full.. and i didn't install or anything on it.. it has almost 2 gig on thr root directory.. maybe i am missing some concept because i do not understand why it get full. it is happening on all three of my system.. and i always... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
9 Replies

2. Solaris

Disks going full??

Dear All I have a problem regarding my Solaris 8 OS . This is regarding the space available in my disk. Although the df -k for /export/home shows 32% capacity I am not able to create any file on the disk. Again, quot -af shows the same output . I have got directories in my /export/home but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/ is full

Hi Exprts, I faced this problem several times, which / file system is full (near 100%) and "proc" under that is the main reason. i don't know how to reduce the size as all directories under proc seems important & other dir/files under / are OS related & could not be removed. could anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk full

Please solve the following NOTICE HTFS:No space on dev hd(1/42) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msuheel
2 Replies

5. AIX

heapdump full the /

Hi everybody; Javaecore files and heapdump created every day in my system in the "/" and make it full. Is there any way to disable this core files or change there directory from the "/" to "/tmp". Note that AIX level is 5.2 with ML 6. BeSt ReGaRs (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalifah
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Partition?

Hi Everyone, I think I've filled up one of the partitions on my drive. I suspect that one of the applications I've been running has been spitting out junk files to this partition - most of which can be deleted. The problem is that I have no idea how to go look at what's on that partition and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Choppy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filesystem full

my root filesystem is eventually full "/dev/rdsk/c1d0s0" as a result i cannot boot to the operating system, i booted into the fail safe mode to check the space using df -h command i discover that it is eventually full. Also to my amazement i found that i cannot see the filesystem which mounted on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

9. AIX

100% Inode full with only 67% FS full.

AIX Version 6.1 and 7.1. I understand that when the OS initially creates the FS and inodes, its pretty strict, but not always tuned to a 1:1 ratio. I see the same thing when adding a whole disk LV to a separate device. It seems that when we expand a filesystem the inodes don't get tuned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies
qmail-log(5)                                                    File Formats Manual                                                   qmail-log(5)

NAME
qmail-log - the qmail activity record DESCRIPTION
qmail-send prints a series of lines describing its activities. Each possible line is described below. STATUS
status: local l/L remote r/R ... qmail-send is waiting for l local deliveries and r remote deliveries. The concurrency limits are L and R. status: exiting qmail-send is done. FATAL PROBLEMS
alert: cannot start: ... qmail-send is unable to prepare itself for delivering messages; it is giving up. This normally indicates a serious configuration error, but it can be caused by a temporary lack of resources. alert: oh no! lost ... One of the other daemons has died. qmail-send will exit as soon as possible. SERIOUS PROBLEMS
alert: unable to append to bounce message... qmail-send is unable to record a permanent failure, usually because the disk is full. This is a very serious problem; qmail-send cannot proceed without recording the results. It will try again in ten seconds. alert: out of memory... qmail-send tried to allocate more memory and failed. It will try again in ten seconds. alert: unable to opendir... qmail-send is having trouble reading a file list from disk, usually because the system's file descriptor table is full, but possibly because permissions are set incorrectly. It will try again in ten seconds. alert: unable to switch back... qmail-send was sent SIGHUP, and it is unable to reenter the queue directory. This is a very serious problem; qmail-send cannot pro- ceed outside the queue directory. It will try again in ten seconds. alert: unable to reread... qmail-send was sent SIGHUP, but it is unable to read the new controls. It will continue operating with the original controls. MESSAGES
new msg m qmail-send is going to preprocess a queued message. The message number, m, is its disk inode number. After a message is removed from the queue, its number can be reused immediately. info msg m: bytes b from <s> qp q uid u Message m contains b bytes; its envelope sender is s; it was queued by a user with user ID u. q is a long-term queue identifier, the process ID of the qmail-queue that queued the message. bounce msg m qp q Message m had some delivery failures. The long-term queue identifier of the bounce (or double-bounce) message is q. triple bounce: discarding ... Message m had some delivery failures, but it is already a double-bounce message, so it must be thrown away. Triple-bounce messages do not exist. end msg m qmail-send is about to remove message m from the queue. DELIVERIES
starting delivery d: msg m to ... qmail-send is telling qmail-lspawn or qmail-rspawn to deliver message m to one recipient. The delivery number, d, starts at 1 and increases by 1 for each new delivery. delivery d: success: ... Delivery d was successful. delivery d: failure: ... Delivery d failed permanently. The message will bounce. delivery d: deferral: ... Delivery d failed temporarily. This recipient will be retried later. delivery d: report mangled, will defer There is a serious bug in qmail-lspawn or qmail-rspawn. This recipient will be retried later. WARNINGS
internal error: delivery report out of range qmail-lspawn or qmail-rspawn has supplied a report on a nonexistent delivery. This is a serious bug. qmail-clean unable to clean up ... For some reason qmail-clean is unable to remove the indicated file. It will try again later. trouble fsyncing ... qmail-send was unable to write to disk the results of preprocessing a queued message. It will try again later. trouble in select There is an operating system bug. trouble injecting bounce message... qmail-send was unable to queue a bounce message, usually because the disk is full. It will try again later. trouble marking ... qmail-send was unable to record the result of a successful or permanently unsuccessful delivery. This means that the delivery will be tried again later. trouble opening ... qmail-send was unable to open the list of local or remote recipients for a message. It will try again later. trouble reading ... Either qmail-send is unable to read a recipient list, or it is unable to read the envelope of a queued message, or it is out of mem- ory. Whatever it was doing, it will try again later. trouble writing to ... qmail-send was unable to preprocess a queued message, usually because the disk is full. It will try again later. unable to create ... qmail-send was unable to preprocess a queued message, usually because the disk is out of inodes. It will try again later. unable to open ... qmail-send is unable to read the envelope of a queued message for preprocessing. It will try again later. unable to start qmail-queue... qmail-send is unable to queue a bounce message, usually because the machine is almost out of memory. It will try again later. This can also be caused by incorrect settings of $QMAILQUEUE or errors in a program or script which $QMAILQUEUE points to. unable to stat ... qmail-send is unable to obtain information about a file that should exist. It will try again later. unable to unlink ... qmail-send is unable to remove a file. It will try again later. unable to utime ... qmail-send is about to exit, and it is unable to record on disk the next scheduled delivery time for a message. The message will be retried as soon as qmail-send is restarted. unknown record type in ... There is a serious bug in either qmail-queue or qmail-send. SEE ALSO
qmail-send(8) qmail-log(5)