Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SWAP command not working on Linux machine Post 302832149 by Basant Mishra on Saturday 13th of July 2013 02:47:56 AM
Old 07-13-2013
Question SWAP command not working on Linux machine

Hi
I am working on linux machine and swap command is not working Linux Machine
On Solaris machine it is working fine:
Code:
uname -a
SunOS rgsm01 5.9 Generic_118558-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440
swap -s
total: 6596320k bytes allocated + 1035968k reserved = 7632288k used, 38893408k available

But on linux machine it is giving following errors:
Code:
uname -a:
Linux GURKES060 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 13 18:24:36 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

swap -s
-ksh: swap: not found [No such file or directory]

Can anybody help me out?

Last edited by Scott; 07-13-2013 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

formula to get the swap space on a machine

Hello there are different opinions on how to get the swap space on Solaris. some say: swap -s and the space= used + available others say swap -l (donno how they get the swap size) other say 'top' command others say using format command (in print sub-command) Could you please advise on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Command to set locale for my linux machine

Hi, I need to set a locale to my linux machine which has redhat enterprise linux 4 how should I do that. And also when i did locale -a, I have got three versions for each locale type with different .extensions like utf8,iso88951 and soon which file should I use for setting locale. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Link type between working machine and server machine

There are two servers where my machine is connected. Is there any type of link formed between my machine and server machine? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palash2k
1 Replies

4. Programming

cos() command not working in Linux

Hi, I have written a c program to find cos() of a value , its not working, I am getting value of "val " as 0000. #include<stdio.h> #include<math.h> main() { float val; val = cosf( 1.570796); printf("\nval = %f",val); } (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi
9 Replies

5. HP-UX

Mirrored root and swap HP9000 machine

How do I check if the root and swap are mirrored on my HP9000 machine? Thank you, N. (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: NicoMan
33 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to get mail working on a Linux machine

I tried using the mail command on one of our Linux machines to send email, and it works fine. I tried using the same command on another one of our Linux machines, and it didn't work (no error message was returned either). The machine that works has the following version information:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sllinux
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command working different in linux environment.

Hi I tried running the code scrname=`whence $0 | sed -e 's/\.\///g'` where $0 is substituted by cm_dsjobrun.sh in unix env then the value it returns me is SCRNAME=/data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat/etl/cm3_0/scripts/shell/cm_dsjobrun.sh whereas i ran the same code on linux env The value... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK command working different in Linux

Hi All I have fired a command in linux table=`echo ${file_name} | awk '{FS="/"; print $NF}' | awk '{FS="."; print $1}'` where file_name has /data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat/backfill/temp/etl_app_info.csv /data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat/backfill/temp/etl_app_jobs.csv ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

isql command not working in Linux 64bit

I am using Linux RHEL5 64 bit and installed oracle 11g. I want to check ODBC connection , i had modified odbc.ini file when i use this command -isql I am getting following error . bash: isql: command not found Kindly help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopalidalvi231
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
MKSWAP(8)						       System Administration							 MKSWAP(8)

NAME
mkswap - set up a Linux swap area SYNOPSIS
mkswap [options] device [size] DESCRIPTION
mkswap sets up a Linux swap area on a device or in a file. The device argument will usually be a disk partition (something like /dev/sdb7) but can also be a file. The Linux kernel does not look at partition IDs, but many installation scripts will assume that partitions of hex type 82 (LINUX_SWAP) are meant to be swap partitions. (Warning: Solaris also uses this type. Be careful not to kill your Solaris partitions.) The size parameter is superfluous but retained for backwards compatibility. (It specifies the desired size of the swap area in 1024-byte blocks. mkswap will use the entire partition or file if it is omitted. Specifying it is unwise - a typo may destroy your disk.) After creating the swap area, you need the swapon command to start using it. Usually swap areas are listed in /etc/fstab so that they can be taken into use at boot time by a swapon -a command in some boot script. WARNING
The swap header does not touch the first block. A boot loader or disk label can be there, but it is not a recommended setup. The recom- mended setup is to use a separate partition for a Linux swap area. mkswap, like many others mkfs-like utils, erases the first partition block to make any previous filesystem invisible. However, mkswap refuses to erase the first block on a device with a disk label (SUN, BSD, ...). OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device (if it is a block device) for bad blocks before creating the swap area. If any bad blocks are found, the count is printed. -f, --force Go ahead even if the command is stupid. This allows the creation of a swap area larger than the file or partition it resides on. Also, without this option, mkswap will refuse to erase the first block on a device with a partition table. -L, --label label Specify a label for the device, to allow swapon by label. -p, --pagesize size Specify the page size (in bytes) to use. This option is usually unnecessary; mkswap reads the size from the kernel. -U, --uuid UUID Specify the UUID to use. The default is to generate a UUID. -v, --swapversion 1 Specify the swap-space version. (This option is currently pointless, as the old -v 0 option has become obsolete and now only -v 1 is supported. The kernel has not supported v0 swap-space format since 2.5.22 (June 2002). The new version v1 is supported since 2.1.117 (August 1998).) -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. NOTES
The maximum useful size of a swap area depends on the architecture and the kernel version. The maximum number of the pages that is possible to address by swap area header is 4294967295 (UINT_MAX). The remaining space on the swap device is ignored. Presently, Linux allows 32 swap areas. The areas in use can be seen in the file /proc/swaps mkswap refuses areas smaller than 10 pages. If you don't know the page size that your machine uses, you may be able to look it up with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (or you may not - the con- tents of this file depend on architecture and kernel version). To set up a swap file, it is necessary to create that file before initializing it with mkswap, e.g. using a command like # fallocate --length 8GiB swapfile Note that a swap file must not contain any holes. Using cp(1) to create the file is not acceptable. Neither is use of fallocate(1) on file systems that support preallocated files, such as XFS or ext4, or on copy-on-write filesystems like btrfs. It is recommended to use dd(1) and /dev/zero in these cases. Please read notes from swapon(8) before adding a swap file to copy-on-write filesystems. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), swapon(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkswap command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux March 2009 MKSWAP(8)