Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 Learning Path
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 Learning Path Post 302832069 by chilinski on Friday 12th of July 2013 03:50:50 PM
Old 07-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanz.rigo

Any help will be much appreciated!!
Get a notebook and start writing things down. You're going to learn things faster than you can remember them. I spent some time last week going through my notebook and transferring the "pearls" within there to a freeform knowledgebase tool called Alex. Now I can search for things like "fiber channel ports" or "how to find the number of seconds since epoch" and it gives me that info instantly without having to leaf through my notebook. As soon as I find something new or with future possibilities, I enter in the KB.

I've only been working with Solaris for seven months so I'm certainly not a maven. I've built machines from scratch as well as from FLARs, etc., and while that teaches a lot, the best education tool has been troubleshooting and solving problems.

The second thing is to learn how to search. There's so much information out that that is so, so old and doesn't apply. On top of that, Oracle killed a lot of Sun links, so something that looks exactly like what you're looking for will lead you to the generic Oracle support home page. Do a lot of research and really pay close attention to dates of forums and docs you read. They can send you on a lot of wild goose chases.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

path name for Solaris 8 ?

hello all, instead of type pwd everytime to find down where I am at. is there a command set prompt to put in to your profile on shell so it invisible every you type cd? thanks in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phapvn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 Font Path ...

Hello, I feel a little initimidated to ask this question, but ... where am I able to find the font path (Solaris 8)? Bye Sysadv (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sysadv
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Learning Materials

I'm new to Solaris. Please let me know, where can i find good, explaining and easy learning tutorials in web. Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moorthy123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10.0 PATH environment

Hello, I am using Solaris 10.0 and defining PATH on command line by the following way: #export PATH=/usr/sfw/bin.... ...but after restart, Solaris forgets what I defined and I need to re-define the same PATH environment. I want to to get defined my PATH environment during booting... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Learning solaris 10 resources

This is my site and i hope it is useful for unix beginner http://www.learning-solaris.com (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoanginlove81
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Help on learning Sun Solaris 10

Hi all, Im new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone can help me. Im working in a Unix environment at the moment and have decided to take up learning Sun Solaris 10 however im struggling to find and good learning books / websites, can anyone point me to any good sites that might help me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjdude
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PATH on solaris 8 (bash)

Im trying to setup my profile to export the PATH at login i had this in my .bashrc export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/ however when i login and type echo $PATH i only get bash-2.05$ echo $PATH /usr/bin: any ideas on what im doing wrong? ive used linux for years but this is my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: recklessop
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Learning Solaris

Is possible to learn Solaris 10 from guides for Solaris 9 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
3 Replies

9. AIX

AIX learning path: suggestions

Hello, Am fresher to AIX domain but trained in RHEL 5. I want to go for AIX certifications in future and very much eager to learn AIX from basics.Kindly provide me the guides or the links or the books for study. What are the recent IBM AIX certifications in the market as of today and their... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaheerbk
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Boot Path

Hello, I have one query 1) how to find in Solaris 10 a) Boot Path b) Boot Disk name Pls help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies
ttk::notebook(n)						 Tk Themed Widget						  ttk::notebook(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ttk::notebook - Multi-paned container widget SYNOPSIS
ttk::notebook pathname ?options...? pathname add window ?options...? pathname insert index window ?options...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
A ttk::notebook widget manages a collection of windows and displays a single one at a time. Each slave window is associated with a tab, which the user may select to change the currently-displayed window. STANDARD OPTIONS
-class -cursor -takefocus -style See the ttk_widget manual entry for details on the standard options. WIDGET-SPECIFIC OPTIONS [-height height] If present and greater than zero, specifies the desired height of the pane area (not including internal padding or tabs). Otherwise, the maximum height of all panes is used. [-padding padding] Specifies the amount of extra space to add around the outside of the notebook. The padding is a list of up to four length specifications left top right bottom. If fewer than four elements are specified, bottom defaults to top, right defaults to left, and top defaults to left. [-width width] If present and greater than zero, specifies the desired width of the pane area (not including internal padding). Otherwise, the maximum width of all panes is used. TAB OPTIONS
The following options may be specified for individual notebook panes: [-state state] Either normal, disabled or hidden. If disabled, then the tab is not selectable. If hidden, then the tab is not shown. [-sticky sticky] Specifies how the slave window is positioned within the pane area. Value is a string containing zero or more of the characters n, s, e, or w. Each letter refers to a side (north, south, east, or west) that the slave window will "stick" to, as per the grid geometry manager. [-padding padding] Specifies the amount of extra space to add between the notebook and this pane. Syntax is the same as for the widget -padding option. [-text text] Specifies a string to be displayed in the tab. [-image image] Specifies an image to display in the tab. See ttk_widget(n) for details. [-compound compound] Spec- ifies how to display the image relative to the text, in the case both -text and -image are present. See label(n) for legal values. [-underline underline] Specifies the integer index (0-based) of a character to underline in the text string. The underlined character is used for mnemonic activation if ttk::notebook::enableTraversal is called. TAB IDENTIFIERS
The tabid argument to the following commands may take any of the following forms: o An integer between zero and the number of tabs; o The name of a slave window; o A positional specification of the form "@x,y", which identifies the tab o The literal string "current", which identifies the currently-selected tab; or: o The literal string "end", which returns the number of tabs (only valid for "pathname index"). WIDGET COMMAND
pathname add window ?options...? Adds a new tab to the notebook. See TAB OPTIONS for the list of available options. If window is currently managed by the notebook but hidden, it is restored to its previous position. pathname configure ?options? See ttk::widget(n). pathname cget option See ttk::widget(n). pathname forget tabid Removes the tab specified by tabid, unmaps and unmanages the associated window. pathname hide tabid Hides the tab specified by tabid. The tab will not be displayed, but the associated window remains managed by the notebook and its configuration remembered. Hidden tabs may be restored with the add command. pathname identify component x y Returns the name of the element under the point given by x and y, or the empty string if no component is present at that location. The following subcommands are supported: pathname identify element x y Returns the name of the element at the specified location. pathname identify tab x y Returns the index of the tab at the specified location. pathname index tabid Returns the numeric index of the tab specified by tabid, or the total number of tabs if tabid is the string "end". pathname insert pos subwindow options... Inserts a pane at the specified position. pos is either the string end, an integer index, or the name of a managed subwindow. If subwindow is already managed by the notebook, moves it to the specified position. See TAB OPTIONS for the list of available options. pathname instate statespec ?script...? See ttk::widget(n). pathname select ?tabid? Selects the specified tab. The associated slave window will be displayed, and the previously-selected window (if different) is unmapped. If tabid is omitted, returns the widget name of the currently selected pane. pathname state ?statespec? See ttk::widget(n). pathname tab tabid ?-option ?value ... Query or modify the options of the specific tab. If no -option is specified, returns a dictionary of the tab option values. If one -option is specified, returns the value of that option. Otherwise, sets the -options to the corresponding values. See TAB OPTIONS for the available options. pathname tabs Returns the list of windows managed by the notebook. KEYBOARD TRAVERSAL
To enable keyboard traversal for a toplevel window containing a notebook widget $nb, call: ttk::notebook::enableTraversal $nb This will extend the bindings for the toplevel window containing the notebook as follows: o Control-Tab selects the tab following the currently selected one. o Shift-Control-Tab selects the tab preceding the currently selected one. o Alt-K, where K is the mnemonic (underlined) character of any tab, will select that tab. Multiple notebooks in a single toplevel may be enabled for traversal, including nested notebooks. However, notebook traversal only works properly if all panes are direct children of the notebook. VIRTUAL EVENTS
The notebook widget generates a <<NotebookTabChanged>> virtual event after a new tab is selected. EXAMPLE
pack [ttk::notebook .nb] ttk::notebook::enableTraversal .nb SEE ALSO
ttk::widget(n), grid(n) KEYWORDS
pane, tab Tk 8.5 ttk::notebook(n)