Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Slow copy (cp) performance when overwriting files Post 302831957 by rbatte1 on Friday 12th of July 2013 10:04:07 AM
Old 07-12-2013
I'm guessing that these filesystems are on the same local disk and therefore the IO overheads really mount up.

If you have a source directory src_dir and a target directory trg_dir you could try something like:-
Code:
cd src_dir
ls -1 | (cd trg_dir;xargs rm)
cp * trg_dir

Does that give you something to work from?

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Help! Slow Performance

Is the performance now very, very slow (pages take a very long time to load)? Or is it just me? Neo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep is very slow : How to improve performance

We have an egrep search in a while loop. egrep -w "$key" ${PICKUP_DIR}/new_update >> ${PICKUP_DIR}/update_record_new ${PICKUP_DIR}/new_update is 210 MB file In each iteration, the egrep on an average takes around 50-60 seconds to search. Ther'es nothing significant in the loop other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
7 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Slow Copy(CP) performance

Hi all We have got issues with copying a 2.6 GB file from one folder to another folder. Well, this is not the first issue we are having on the box currently, i will try to explain everything we have done from the past 2 days. We got a message 2 days back saying that our Production is 98%... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_sri
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow copy/performance... between volumes

hi guys We are seeing weird issues on my Linux Suse 10, it has lotus 8.5 and 1 filesystem for OS and another for Lotus Database. the issue is when the Lotus service starts wait on top is very high about 25% percent and in general CPU usage is very high we found that when this happens if we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files using scp without overwriting

Hi, i need to use "scp" to copy a file without overwriting the same in destinations. any suggestion? thanks Sivaji (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivarajb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Slow performance filtering file

Please, I need help tuning my script. It works but it's too slow. The code reads an acivity log file with 50.000 - 100.000 lines and filters error messages from it. The data in the actlog file look similar to this: 02/08/2011 00:25:01,ANR2034E QUERY MOUNT: No match found using this criteria.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miila
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from multiple directories into one directory without overwriting them

I have several directories and all those directories have .dat files in them. I want to copy all those .dat files to one directory say "collected_directory" The problem is I don't want to overwrite files. So, if two file names match, I don't want the old file to be overwritten with a new one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

8. Infrastructure Monitoring

99% performance wa, slow server.

There is a big problem with the server (VPS based on OpenVZ, CentOS 5, 3GB RAM). The problem is the following. The first 15-20 minutes after starting the server is operating normally, the load average is less than or about 1.0, but then begins to increase sharply% wa, then hovers around 95-99%.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: draiphod
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11.1 Slow Network Performance

I have identical M5000 machines that are needing to transfer very large amounts of data between them. These are fully loaded machines, and I've already checked IO, memory usage, etc... I get poor network performance even when the machines are idle or copying via loopback. The 10 GB NICs are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
7 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)