Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching multiple patterns using awk Post 302831935 by kcboy on Friday 12th of July 2013 09:36:32 AM
Old 07-12-2013
Searching multiple patterns using awk

Hello,

I have the following input file:

Code:
qh1adm 20130710111201 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ 
qh1adm 20130711151154 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ 
qx1adm 20130711151154 : tp count QX1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=B17,E17,EE7 
qh1adm 20130711151155 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=E7B,B17 
qh2adm 20130711151156 : tp import all QH2 u6 -Dsourcesystems=E7B,B17 
emiadm 20130711151158 : tp count EMI u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ,EEI 
qh1adm 20130711151200 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ

In this case I want all the records starting from 20130711151154 and that have QH1 in them.

This should be the output:

Code:
qh1adm 20130711151154 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ
qh1adm 20130711151155 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=E7B,B17
qh1adm 20130711151200 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ

I have tried something like this:

Code:
awk '/'qh1adm'/ && /'$STOPMARK'/,0' logfile

Nothing seems to work though

where $STOPMARK is 20130711151154. But I am not getting the correct output. Can you please assist? Thanks a lot.
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE and ICODE tags to make code, sample input, and sample output clear.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-12-2013 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK: Multiple patterns per line

Hi there, We have been given a bit of coursework using awk on html pages. Without giving too much away and risking the wrath of the plagerism checks, I can say we need to deal with certain html elements. There may be several of these elements on one line. My question is, if there are more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plavixo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple patterns in files

I have a situation where I need to search for multiple strings (error messages) such as 'aborted' 'file not found' etc in directory having logs. I have put all the error messages in a text file and using the command. grep -f <textfile> <filetobegrepped> I'm doing this thru a script where I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple patterns in a file

Hi All, I have a file in which i have to search for a pattern from the beginning of the file and if the pattern is found , then i have to perform a reverse search from that line to the beginning of the file to get the first occurrence of another pattern. sample input file hey what are you... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script searching patterns issue

Hi I am having a file like this FILE1 ##################### C16ROTINV_ REFCLK_RXL RXBCLK32_R REFCLK_TXL CLK8_TXLIN RXBCLK32_R DCLK_TXLIN CLK32D_TXL RXACLK32_R ##################### (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaita
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching multiple patterns in perl

Hi, I have code like: Output it is comming as: Rels: WM2 Rels: WG2 Rels: 5 - pre/prods.pl Rels: 6 Rels: 7 Rels: 8 Rels: 10 Rels: Int But i want only "Rels: 5" pattern Just above "- pre/prods.pl". By... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] HP-UX awk sub multiple patterns

Hi, I am using sub to remove blank spaces and one pattern(=>) from the input string. It works fine when I am using two sub functions for the same. However it is giving error while I am trying to remove both spaces and pattern using one single sub function. Working: $ echo " OK => " |awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple patterns for awk script

Hi, I'm getting stuck when supplying multiple patterns for the below code: awk -F, ' .. .. if ($0 ~ pattern) { .. .. } .. .. ' pattern='$ROW' input_file for the same code I'm trying to supply multiple patterns as given below: awk -F, ' .. .. if( ($0 ~ pattern) && ($0 ~... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: penqueen
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing multiple line patterns with awk

Hi forum, Can you please help me understand how to look for and replace the below pattern (containing line breaks) and return a new result? Rules: Must match the 3 line pattern and return a 1 line result. I have found solutions with sed, but it seems that sed installed in my system is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check multiple patterns in awk

I need to check if 2 values exists in the file and if they are equal print 0. output.txt: ------------ 1 2 3 4 5 6 Inputs: a=1 b=2 My pattern matching code works but I am trying to set a counter if both the pattern matches which does not work.If the count > 0,then I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannan13
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching multiple patterns and construct SQL

Hello, I have attached 2 files 1) Original_table_definition.txt => which has definition of 3 tables 2) describe_table_output.txt => which has again 3 tables definition gotten thorugh doing a show table or describe table way. Now difference between 3 tables are that tablea has no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nv186000
2 Replies
case(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   case(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
case - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
case string ?in? patList body ?patList body ...? case string ?in? {patList body ?patList body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Note: the case command is obsolete and is supported only for backward compatibility. At some point in the future it may be removed entirely. You should use the switch command instead. The case command matches string against each of the patList arguments in order. Each patList argument is a list of one or more patterns. If any of these patterns matches string then case evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. Each patList argument consists of a single pattern or list of patterns. Each pattern may con- tain any of the wild-cards described under string match. If a patList argument is default, the corresponding body will be evaluated if no patList matches string. If no patList argument matches string and no default is given, then the case command returns an empty string. Two syntaxes are provided for the patList and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line case commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unneces- sary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the patList arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or variable substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. SEE ALSO
switch(n) KEYWORDS
case, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 case(n)