Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to restore standard default permissions on /etc? Post 302831319 by prvnrk on Wednesday 10th of July 2013 04:41:56 PM
Old 07-10-2013
How to restore standard default permissions on /etc?

Hello HP Admins,

Somehow Permissions of files inside /etc set to 777 in HP-UX 11. Due to this, system malfunctioning. I would like to know if there exists any command/script that sets all system files (or /etc atleast) to its default standard permissions.

I just don't want to run 755 on /etc as few files need special permissions (with "r" only to root etc.)

Thanks!

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to save/restore files and dir permissions

Hello all: I need found script to save and restore file permissions and owner:group... this is for backup my server... I have one problem in my server and file permissions and owner:group, mess up.. For this reason i need found one way to secure this aspect of the server... Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies
pam_console_apply(8)					   System Administrator's Manual				      pam_console_apply(8)

NAME
pam_console_apply - set or revoke permissions for users at the system console SYNOPSIS
pam_console_apply [-f <fstab file>] [-c <console.perms file>] [-r] [-t <tty>] [-s] [-d] [<device file> ...] DESCRIPTION
pam_console_apply is a helper executable which sets or resets permissions on device nodes. If /var/run/console.lock exists, pam_console_apply will grant permissions to the user listed therein. If the lock file does not exist, permissions are reset according to defaults set in console.perms files, normally configured to set permissions on devices so that root owns them. When initializing its configuration it first parses the /etc/security/console.perms file and then it searches for files ending with the .perms suffix in the /etc/security/console.perms.d directory. These files are parsed in the lexical order in "C" locale. Permission rules are appended to a global list, console and device class definitions override previous definitions of the same class. ARGUMENTS
-c Load other console.perms file than the default one. -f Load other fstab file than the default one (/etc/fstab). -r Signals pam_console_apply to reset permissions. The default is to set permissions so that the user listed in /var/run/console.lock has access to the devices, and to reset permissions if no such file exists. -t Use <tty> to match console class in console.perms file. The default is tty0. -s Write error messages to the system log instead of stderr. -d Log/display messages useful for debugging. The optional <device file> arguments constrain what files should be affected by pam_console_apply. If they aren't specified permissions are changed on all files specified in the console.perms file. FILES
/var/run/console.lock /etc/security/console.perms /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms SEE ALSO
pam_console(8) console.perms(5) BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHORS
Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com>, using code shamelessly stolen from parts of pam_console. Support of console.perms.d and other improvements by Tomas Mraz <tmraz@redhat.com>. Red Hat 2005/5/2 pam_console_apply(8)