Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Log search and mail it if the log is updated before 24 hours from the current time Post 302830909 by Kalaihari on Tuesday 9th of July 2013 06:27:41 PM
Old 07-09-2013
RedHat Log search and mail it if the log is updated before 24 hours from the current time

Hi ,

We have around 22 logs , each has different entries. I have to automate this using shell script. The ideas which am sharing is given below

1) We use only TAIL -100 <location and name of the log> Command to check the logs.

2) We want to check whether the log was updated before 24 hours or current time stamp, if found it should send a mail the log looks good.

3) We want to check whether there is an ERROR message found on the log (only ERROR, not error,Error) , if found it should send a mail like Error message was found or else exit without sending a mail.

Suggestion needed is how to gather all 22 logs in one single mail , if it has updated before 24 hours. and how to gather the ERROR message if it is presented in the log and mail us seperately with the log name . Could any1 help me with this thread and idea?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script not getting current error messages with time from alert.log

Hi All, I need to get current error messages with time from alert.log.Below is my shell script but it's not working to meet this objective. could anyone pls share on the above issue for resolution: #################################################################### ## ckalertlog.sh ##... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
2 Replies

2. Solaris

files updated in last 10 hours should be moved

Hi, I would like to move all files that are updated in last 10 hrs. to some temporary folder. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute crontab for every 4 hours and begin from current time

I want to add a crontab entry which should execute for every 4 hours and that 4 hours calculation should begin from the current time. Normally if I set the crontab entry like this, 00 */4 30 05 * root date >>/tmp/cronout The above will execute the date command for every 4 hours like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganeshwari
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding hours and minutes to current date (Only to date not to time)

Hi, I want to add some hours and minutes to the current date. For example, if the current date is "July 16, 2012 15:20", i want to add 5 hours 30 minutes to "July 16, 2012 00:00" not to "July 16, 2012 15:20". Please help. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojgarg
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Sort current logged in users by log in time (supposedly to be very easy but I'm missing something)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Show all users who are currently logged in, sorted from earliest to latest log in time. The log in time includes the month, day, and time. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: finger, who, sort, pipe, head, tail, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtmd
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Search for text between two time frame (12 hours)

I have created the script to grep the errors from weblogic logs files and redirecting output to file.txt ...From file.txt I'm using awk command to collect the past 20 mins output...The script running from cron every 15 mins... The script working well... Now the challenges, I'm trying to use... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
27 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for logs traced between specific date and time from log file

HI, I want to search for a logs which are trace between specific date and time from logs file. My logs are generated like this :- Tue Jun 18 05:00:02 EEST 2013 | file_check.sh| Message:script has files to process. Thu Jun 20 05:00:02 EEST 2013 | file_check.sh| Message:script has files to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the string in the active log and send mail

Hello, I wanted to search specific string in the acitve log file and send an email if the search string found in the log. Log file is written by application all the time. So, script has to search if any new log entry has the specific string for example " sample exception" and send an email. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balareddy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log File updated time

hi can any one please help on below .im new to shell scrpting i need to write a shell script which will check particular log file is presented or not in specific location ,if yes how long it was not modified/not rolling ?if its not modified/log is not rolling script will have to send mail (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4Learning
9 Replies
MAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAIL(1)

NAME
mail - send and receive electronic mail SYNOPSIS
mail [-dpqrv] [-f file] [user] OPTIONS
-d Force use of the shell variable MAILER -f Use file instead of /usr/spool/mail/user as mailbox -p Print all mail and then exit -q Quit program if SIGINT received -r Reverse print order, i.e., print oldest first -v Verbose mode EXAMPLES
mail ast # Send a message to ast mail # Read your mail DESCRIPTION
Mail is an extremely simple electronic mail program. It can be used to send or receive email on a single MINIX system, in which case it functions as user agent and local delivery agent. If the flag MAILER is defined in mail.c, it can also call a transport agent to handle remote mail as well. No such agent is supplied with MINIX. When called by user with no arguments, it examines the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/user, prints one message (depending on the -r flag), and waits for one of the following commands: <newline> Go to the next message - Print the previous message !command Fork off a shell and execute command CTRL-D Update the mailbox and quit (same as q) d Delete the current message and go to the next one q Update the mailbox and quit (same as CTRL-D) p Print the current message again s [file] Save message in the named file x Exit without updating the mailbox To send mail, the program is called with the name of the recipient as an argument. The mail is sent, along with a postmark line containing the date. For local delivery, a file named after the recipient in the directory /usr/spool/mail must be writable. If the directory /usr/spool/mail does not exist then the mail is dumped on the console, so that system programs have a way to notify a user on a system that does not have a mail spool. MAIL(1)