Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash and sed compatibility
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash and sed compatibility Post 302830741 by Corona688 on Tuesday 9th of July 2013 11:49:51 AM
Old 07-09-2013
Sed is not 'incompatible' with single or double quotes. Quotes no longer exist by the time sed gets the string. They do alter the interpretation of the string -- as you can see when it spits it back out in the error. It's putting it all on one line.

I think you need to remove the backslashes \ separating lines. Multi-line strings are actually valid in Bourne shell, but putting the backslashes there (inside double quotes) tells it to cram it all in one single line.

Single quotes, which escape nothing ever, just put in literal backslashes and split it across lines anyway.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed on bash variables (or maybe awk?)

Hi all- I've been fooling with this for a few days, but I'm rather new at this... I have a bash variable containing a long string of various characters, for instance: JUNK=this that the other xyz 1234 56 789 I don't know what "xyz" actually is, but I know that: START=he other and ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rev66
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH -- sed -- variable

Hi, I'm new at bash scripting -- can anyone here help me about the sed command? I need to be able to edit and or delete a text from an outside file ie file.txt -- I'm passing a variable and not a string I was thinking of something like echo -n "What do you want to edit?: " read edit sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Imajean
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$ in sed under tcsh vs bash

In bash, I can match the ' character in a substition involving the line ending symbol $, easily. In tcsh I ran into a problem. Code: sed "s/$/'/g" filename sed "s/$/'/g" < filename sed -e "s/$/'/g" filename Unmatched '. Where can I find out why this is the case? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using Sed in Solaris bash

I am trying to execute a script with sed that works well in ksh(Linux) however in bash(solaris 8) though it does not give any errors the output file becomes 0 byte. header of the script: ksh:2$ head news.ksh #!/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acharania2011
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash sed problem

Hi, I need to escape slashes in my text, so I use this line: search_string=`echo $var | sed 's@/@\\\/@g'`I expect that to replace a slash with a backslash followed by a slash. That works nicely, but it has a problematic side-effect. If there are two spaces in the var it replaces them with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickS
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines with SED in Bash?

Hello everyone I'm doing a program in bash and wanted to know how can I do to delete document lines the words not ending in S with SED, ie, show only those ending with the letter S. I probe with: sed -e /$.*/d "$file" | more to delete all lines NOT ending in S but not work!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adiegorpc
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not working in a bash script

Hi friends, I have two files - input and commands I want to read the input and replace a value in it with the contents in commands. My script is like this. Instead of printing the value in the commands file, it is simply printing $cmd in the output file. Any pointers are highly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

8. Debian

Using sed with bash variables

Hi Guys I have another problem I'm trying to solve and hope that some one can help me here. This is the scenario: I have a file and I want to add a line on the 3rd line of the file using a bash script. but instead its adding the the bash variable $WEBSITE. Below is the bash script I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backward compatibility issue with GNU bash, version 4.3.42(5)

Hi, I have made a snake game on below bash version. But it is not backward compatible. Can someone suggest a version which is most commonly used and is backward compatible so that i can change my code and share again? I have attached the game script. If someone can run it please also suggest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit14august
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use foreach with sed in a bash script

I want to extract data from a ASCII file that looks like the one provided here (see input.txt). For this purpose I used sed commands. I want to chain the sed commands into a script that I can call with custom variables, instead of having to run it multiple times (Need to run the code for 30*24 =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learningtocode
1 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Text::ParseWords(3perl)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 Text::ParseWords(3perl)