Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep and sed (replace string in patterned lines) Post 302830651 by Ygor on Tuesday 9th of July 2013 08:34:12 AM
Old 07-09-2013
You can just use sed....
Code:
sed '/PATTERN/s/ to be changed/, YEHA! to be changed/' FILENAME

This User Gave Thanks to Ygor For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Like grep -v for a string over 2 lines? Sed?

Hi, I have a log file that I need to monitor as it's being written to, and I want to exclude certain strings from the output. At the moment I'm using ... tail -f LogFileName_`date +%d`.log | egrep -v "First String To Exclude | 2nd string | 3rd string" ...which works OK - but now I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jake657
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/grep string replace question

Hi all, I know this question has probably been answered before, but I am struggling with this problem, even after googling a million pages. In a file named rdmt.conf I need a single character replaced, the number in the line below CUR_OC4J_ID=1 It will always appear after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike AAA
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
LSDIFF(1)																 LSDIFF(1)

NAME
lsdiff - show which files are modified by a patch SYNOPSIS
lsdiff [-n] [-p n] [--strip=n] [--addprefix=PREFIX] [-s] [-i PATTERN] [-x PATTERN] [-v] [file...] lsdiff {--help | --version | --filter ... | --grep ...} DESCRIPTION
List the files modified by a patch. You can use both unified and context format diffs with this program. OPTIONS
-n Display the line number that each patch begins at. If verbose output is requested, each hunk of each patch is listed as well. For each file that is modified, a line is generated containing the line number of the beginning of the patch, followed by a Tab character, followed by the name of the file that is modified. If -v is given, following each of these lines will be one line for each hunk, consisting of a Tab character, the line number that the hunk begins at, another Tab character, the string ``Hunk #'', and the hunk number (starting at 1). -p n When matching, ignore the first n components of the pathname. --strip=n Remove the first n components of the pathname before displaying it. --addprefix=PREFIX Prefix the pathname with PREFIX before displaying it. -s Show file additions, modifications and removals. A file addition is indicated by a ``+'', a removal by a ``-'', and a modification by a ``!''. -i PATTERN Include only files matching PATTERN. -x PATTERN Exclude files matching PATTERN. -v Verbose output. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of lsdiff. --filter Behave like filterdiff(1) instead. --grep Behave like grepdiff(1) instead. SEE ALSO
filterdiff(1), grepdiff(1) EXAMPLES
To sort the order of touched files in a patch, you can use: lsdiff patch | sort -u | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patch -i To show only added files in a patch: lsdiff -s patch | grep '^+' | cut -c2- | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patch -i To show the headers of all file hunks: lsdiff -n patch | (while read n file do sed -ne "$n,$(($n+1))p" patch done) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>. patchutils 13 May 2002 LSDIFF(1)