Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect stdout and stderror in child process Post 302830433 by jim mcnamara on Monday 8th of July 2013 07:32:25 PM
Old 07-08-2013
alister - you are correct I left out the setuid and setgid. Thanks for the correction.

However if stdout or stderr are open there likely is problem with any daemonizing code,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

3. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

4. Programming

how to redirect back to stdout

In my program, I am using library provided by other. In the library, the cout/cerr is redirected to a file (the file path is known). After I call some methods in the library, I get one side-effect --> The cout/cerr in my own program is also directed to the file. So how can I to redirect... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
5 Replies

5. Programming

Controlling a child's stdin/stdout (not working with scp)

All, Ok...so I know I *should* be able to control a process's stdin and stdout from the parent by creating pipes and then dup'ing them in the child. And, this works with all "normal" programs that I've tried. Unfortunately, I want to intercept the stdin/out of the scp application and it seems... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically send stdout and stderror to a file as well as to the screen, but without using tee

Hi, I've been using the following commands in my automated scripts, to ensure that all text output is sent to a log file instead of to the screen: exec 1>>$SCRIPT_LOG_FILE exec 2>>$SCRIPT_LOG_FILE However, I've now discovered that the system used for automating the script executions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: confusedAdmin
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bizzare behavior on redirect of stdout

Oracle Linux 5.6 64-bit (derivative of RHEL) Dear Ann Landers, This is about as bizarre as anything I've ever seen. I have a little test script I've been working with. When I redirect stdout to a file, no file. Make a copy of the script to another name. Execute it and redirect stdout, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
lp-shell(1)						      General Commands Manual						       lp-shell(1)

NAME
lp-shell - Open an interactive launchpadlib shell. SYNOPSIS
lp-shell [-a] [-cPROGRAM] [--python] [--ipython] [service] [LP API version] DESCRIPTION
lp-shell opens an interactive Python shell with a launchpadlib.Launchpad object "lp" which is ready for use. It authenticates against Launchpad with the consumer name "udt-lp-shell". When using lp-shell with the -a option it will use the anonymous login from launchpadlib.Launchpad. By default lp-shell connects to the "production" Launchpad service using the "1.0" LP API version. If you want to connect to another Launchpad service, call lp-shell with the service name as the second argument. lp-shell supports all ser- vices known by launchpadlib Python module. Currently known are (list can be incomplete or outdated): "production", "staging", "dogfood". A different LP API version can be selected by passing the API version to use as the third argument. Current supported are: "beta", "1.0" and "devel". OPTIONS
-a Login anonymously into Launchpad. -c PROGRAM Don't enter a shell but only run the specified Python program and exit. --ipython Use an ipython shell if available (default). --python Use a regular python shell. AUTHORS
lp-shell was written by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com>. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option) any later version. lptools 27 March 2010 lp-shell(1)