Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect stdout and stderror in child process Post 302830121 by jim mcnamara on Monday 8th of July 2013 06:29:44 AM
Old 07-08-2013
I do not know much about your daemon script, but: - on purpose - the Linux kernel does not support daemonized shell scripts. If your script really does that, then you need to get some code - C code for example - to run your script.

You can also achieve the something like same idea using the at command or the batch command.

Run your script automatically, right now, using at:
Code:
at  now <<!
$JAVA $JAVA_ARGS
!

Your environment variables will be preserved. Note - if you are creating a real daemon then stdout, stdin, stderr will have been closed. Before you run your script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

3. Programming

redirect stdout

hello again! i use dup2 to redirect stdout. I run what i want, now i want undo this redirection. how can i do that? thanx in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
7 Replies

4. Programming

how to redirect back to stdout

In my program, I am using library provided by other. In the library, the cout/cerr is redirected to a file (the file path is known). After I call some methods in the library, I get one side-effect --> The cout/cerr in my own program is also directed to the file. So how can I to redirect... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
5 Replies

5. Programming

Controlling a child's stdin/stdout (not working with scp)

All, Ok...so I know I *should* be able to control a process's stdin and stdout from the parent by creating pipes and then dup'ing them in the child. And, this works with all "normal" programs that I've tried. Unfortunately, I want to intercept the stdin/out of the scp application and it seems... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDOUT to a file in a subshell

Hi, I would like to avoid re-directing line by line to a file. What is the best way to re-direct STDOUT to a file in a subshell? Thanks in advance. Cheers Vj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnvee
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically send stdout and stderror to a file as well as to the screen, but without using tee

Hi, I've been using the following commands in my automated scripts, to ensure that all text output is sent to a log file instead of to the screen: exec 1>>$SCRIPT_LOG_FILE exec 2>>$SCRIPT_LOG_FILE However, I've now discovered that the system used for automating the script executions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: confusedAdmin
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bizzare behavior on redirect of stdout

Oracle Linux 5.6 64-bit (derivative of RHEL) Dear Ann Landers, This is about as bizarre as anything I've ever seen. I have a little test script I've been working with. When I redirect stdout to a file, no file. Make a copy of the script to another name. Execute it and redirect stdout, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command ... is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD