Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying part of a data file into another Post 302830025 by Don Cragun on Sunday 7th of July 2013 10:49:36 PM
Old 07-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by latsyrc
Thank you so much. But does that also create a new file and write all the "good" data into it without overwriting?
The scripts shown just write the extracted data to standard output. The original data (datfile1 and datfile2) are not modified. If you want to save the output in files, try something like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 'processing datfile1 using while loop:'
while read x
do      if [ "$x" -gt 16000 ]
        then    printf "%d\n" "$x"
        fi
done < datfile1 > datfile1.mod
echo 'processing datfile2 using awk:'
awk '$1 > 16000' datfile2 > datfile2.mod

And then look at the contents of the files datfile1.mod and datfile2.mod after it finishes. You could also pipe the output into another stream of processes to do whatever you want with the data without creating temporary files, replace the data in the original files, or millions of other choices depending on what you want to do. If you tell us what you are trying to do, we might be able to suggest saving the output in a manner that would be appropriate for your situation.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying some part of file

Hey friends, Here I am with another query. I have a TXT file. Foe an example EX ID : B-Mezine .... ... ... Some lines of text (Not fixed in length n no of lines).. ... ... .. END EX ID Some blank lines in between two records(Not fixed in numbers) EX ID : B-Mezine .... ...... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
20 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from excel file

Hii friends, I am a newbie to unix/shell scripting and got stuck in implementing a functionality.Dear experts,kindly spare some time to bring me out of dark pit :confused:.. My requirement is somewhat wierd,let me explain what i have and what i need to do... 1) there are several excel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 5ahen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get data only inside polygon created by points which is part of whole data from file?

hiii, Help me out..i have a huge set of data stored in a file.This file has has 2 columns which is latitude & longitude of a region. Now i have a program which asks for the number of points & based on this number it asks the user to enter that latitude & longitude values which are in the same... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

4. Programming

Doubt in C programming (copying data from one file to another)

Hello, i'm new to the forum and so am i to C programming. Recently i've gotten a task to create a program that will read an existing .bin file and copy the data to a non existing (so i have to create it) .txt file (some type of conversion) Now, i now how to put the arguments, opening and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lyric
5 Replies

5. Programming

SQL: copying data down

I have a series of observations of which one column is sometimes missing (zero): date temp delta 1977 284.54 29.84 1978 149.82 0 1979 320.71 28.45 1980 176.76 0 1981 854.65 0 1984 817.65 0 1985 990.58 27.98 1986 410.21 0 1987 405.93 0 1988 482.9 0 What I would like to achieve is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from files to directories

I have the following that I'd like to do: 1. I have split a file into separate files that I placed into the /tmp directory. These files are named F1 F2 F3 F4. 2. In addition, I have several directories which are alphabetized as dira dirb dirc dird. 3. I'd like to be able to copy F1 F2 F3 F4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Copying data from one file server to another

Hello people, I have a question regarding transferring data from one file server to another. The server is a Solaris 9 box The old file server is connected via Ethernet cable, and the new file server we are switching is a Fiber channel. can I use the dd if=server:/app1 of=server2:/app1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files with part of their pathname and copying them to new directory

Hi I think this should be relatively simple but I can't figure it out. I have several files with the same name in different folders within a directory (the output of a program that I ran). Something like this: ./myAnalysis/item1/round1/myoutput.txt ./myAnalysis/item1/round2/myoutput.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jullee
2 Replies

9. Programming

SQL: copying data up

I need to fix an SQL statement in MySQL that should calculate a field using values from two of the columns and I prefer to do this using set-based programming, ie not procedural. What needs to happen is that in a separate column called "delta" the value of "level" is copied depending on whether... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep a section from an UNIX file obtaining only part of the data

Hello, I have a log file that has several sections "BEGIN JOB, End of job" like in the following example: 19/06/12 - 16:00:57 (27787398-449294): BEGIN JOB j1(27787398-449294) JOB1 19/06/12 - 16:00:57 (27787398-449294): DIGIT: 0 number of present logs : 1 19/06/12 - 16:00:57... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
4 Replies
PX_GET_DATA_GRAPHIC(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    PX_GET_DATA_GRAPHIC(3)

NAME
PX_get_data_graphic -- Get graphic data field SYNOPSIS
#include <paradox.h> int PX_get_data_graphic(pxdoc_t *pxdoc, char *data, int len, int *mod, int *blobsize, char **value) DESCRIPTION
Reads a graphic data field. This function may be used only for blobs of type pxfGraphic. data points to the start of the data field in the record. It must be calculated by summing up all field length before the field to operate on and add it to the base pointer of the record. You should use this function instead of accessing the data directly. PX_get_data_graphic returns blob data stored in the record itself, or in an MB files which must have been set with PX_set_blob_file(3). The function allocates memory for the data returned in *value. This memory has to be freed by the application. The amount of memory for the blob is returned in *blobsize. *mod returns the so called modification number of the blob which can often be used as an unique id for creating file names, if the data is saved in a file. Note: This function is deprecated and obsolete if PX_retrieve_record(3) is used. RETURN VALUE
Returns 0 if the value is NULL, -1 in case of an error and 1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
PX_get_data_blob(3), PX_get_data_bcd(3), PX_get_data_byte(3), PX_get_data_long(3), PX_get_data_short(3), PX_get_data_double(3), PX_get_data_byte(3), PX_get_data_bytes(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Uwe Steinmann uwe@steinmann.cx. PX_GET_DATA_GRAPHIC(3)