Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to resize filesystem by resizing the LUN without impact to applications.? Post 302829627 by aenagy on Friday 5th of July 2013 10:15:09 AM
Old 07-05-2013
How to resize filesystem by resizing the LUN without impact to applications.?

Is it possible to resize a filesystem by resizing the LUN on RHEL 6.4 64-bit with LVM and no impact to running applications? The research I have done so far seems to take the approach of adding a new LUN and then expaning the volume group to the new LUN. I'm looking for an approach that avoids a new LUN this as we virtualize all of our Linux. Not requiring a reboot is very important.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Filesystem resize (AIX 5.3)

Hi.. I have to resize a partition(filesystem). I mean reduce the size one particular partition and increase the size of another. What should I do?? Pls help Bala (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies

2. Solaris

VxVM filesystem resize

This is actually a VxVM question. I have a volume/filesystem spread over 4*146G disks. Now I want to shrink the filesystem - which I can do using vxresize. However, I want to shrink so that two of the four disks that the filesystem occupies are removed from the volume. Can I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Making filesystem on presented lun

Hi, I am working on SunOS perlrate 5.10 Generic_127111-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120. The server has an LSISAS3801E HBA card installed and is connected to a StorageTek 2530 array. I have made a volume on arrary using Common Array Manager. I can see the volume on server: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanban
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Netapp filer LUN Resize. Commands to run on Solaris afterwards.

Hi, I need to increase a veritas filesystem I have currently mounted on a Solaris 10 server. We can resize the LUN on the NetApp filer no problem. What I need to know is what do I do next on the Solaris 10 server I have so that it will see the increase in size. Do I run 'devfsadm' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
3 Replies

5. SuSE

Resize Root Filesystem in SUSE Linux

Hello Experts, I am very new to unix environment. Root filesystem in one of our Linux boxes has almost reached 100%. is there a procedure/ way to resize the root filesystem. ****************************************************** ld8331:/ # df -h|more Filesystem Size Used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok1784
2 Replies

6. AIX

Dynamic LUN resize

Anyone know how to resize a LUN (if SAN disk array has increased the LUN size) and have AIX LVM know about it? Or is it automatic? Equivalent vxvm command is something like: vxdisk resize size= (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resize a filesystem in solaris 10

i am facing a problem, i would like to resize a file system called /pcard04 i am not useing any voulme manager and we have a NETAPP center storge. what i did is root@cms-dev # df -h | grep /pcard04 /dev/dsk/c4t60A9800043346C35636F2D6D4F354743d0s0 5.2G 4.0G 1.0G 80% /pcard04 then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: q8devilish
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Creating filesystem on new LUN

I'm new to linux and need information on how do I create a filesytem on a dedicated on LUN for RHEL 4 and 5? I want the filesystem to be a ext3 ---------- Post updated at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ---------- Found the answer. This thread can be closed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Resizing the Root Filesystem

Is it possible to increase the root filesystem size without reboot ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
4 Replies

10. AIX

Resize Lun

Good afternoon! Help with a solution I have AIX 7.1 works through vios I expanded Lun that it is necessary to make that aix saw this change and to expand the section lvm Sorry for my English (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iformats
1 Replies
FSADM(8)																  FSADM(8)

NAME
fsadm - utility to resize or check filesystem on a device SYNOPSIS
fsadm [options] check device fsadm [options] resize device [new_size[BKMGTEP]] DESCRIPTION
fsadm utility checks or resizes the filesystem on a device. It tries to use the same API for ext2, ext3, ext4, ReiserFS and XFS filesys- tem. OPTIONS
-e, --ext-offline Unmount ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem before doing resize. -f, --force Bypass some sanity checks. -h, --help Display the help text. -n, --dry-run Print commands without running them. -v, --verbose Be more verbose. -y, --yes Answer "yes" at any prompts. new_size Absolute number of filesystem blocks to be in the filesystem, or an absolute size using a suffix (in powers of 1024). If new_size is not supplied, the whole device is used. DIAGNOSTICS
On successful completion, the status code is 0. A status code of 2 indicates the operation was interrupted by the user. A status code of 3 indicates the requested check operation could not be performed because the filesystem is mounted and does not support an online fsck(8). A status code of 1 is used for other failures. EXAMPLES
Resize the filesystem on logical volume /dev/vg/test to 1000 megabytes. If /dev/vg/test contains ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem it will be unmounted prior the resize. All [y|n] questions will be answered 'y'. fsadm -e -y resize /dev/vg/test 1000M ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
TMPDIR The temporary directory name for mount points. Defaults to "/tmp". DM_DEV_DIR The device directory name. Defaults to "/dev" and must be an absolute path. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvresize(8), lvm.conf(5), fsck(8), tune2fs(8), resize2fs(8), reiserfstune(8), resize_reiserfs(8), xfs_info(8), xfs_growfs(8), xfs_check(8) Red Hat, Inc LVM TOOLS 2.02.105(2)-RHEL7 (2014-03-26) FSADM(8)