Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Daemon monitoring
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Daemon monitoring Post 302829551 by vbe on Friday 5th of July 2013 07:10:46 AM
Old 07-05-2013
Its more a question of how/why it is stopped... If you have a program/script to stop the daemon then just add a line so it adds when it was stopped... if its because of ??? Then you have no other choice either to use a monitoring utility ( e.g. opensource nagios ?) or write your own and scheduling it correctly so it doesnt take too much resource...
If you log when it starts while at it keep also its PID, then you know what to look for...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

daemon

I want to write background running program. How to use daemon function. Please send me source code. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bat_oyu
1 Replies

2. Programming

Make a Daemon?

hi can any one tell me how to make an executable to a daemon:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivhard
2 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a Daemon

how to convert a c program into a Daemon. thanks in advance svh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svh
2 Replies

4. AIX

rsync daemon

Does anyone out there use rsync on AIX 5.2, I've installed and would like to run in server mode, I've setup in services and inetd.conf and refreshed inetd. The rsync daemon however does not start, I've also tried rsync --daemon, this just returns to the # prompt. The rsync command itself appears to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies

5. Programming

How to write daemon?

Hi , I want to know how to write a daemon process. I also want to know the concept behind daemon processes. Any material or sample program will be great :) . Thanks in advance -sg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sg6876
2 Replies

6. Linux

daemon process

how i will write the daemon process,if any body have sample daemon process send me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_rupineni
1 Replies

7. Programming

Daemon

i want to write a daemon service which listens the 8080 port and write down all the details in one file. How can i do this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Daemon 101

I think I have an issue almost like Sammy_T's. I want to make a piece of code run as a daemon. I have some java, along with it 15 classpath's converted to a shell script that I can "runmyjavap". The script is just what I need to run after compiling it: #!/bin/sh java -classpath : ...(from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restart a Daemon

Dear expert, How do i restart a daemon ? I know to use the kill <PID> command to shut down the daemon. But after terminate the daemon, how to restart it back ? :confused: Please advice, many thanks in advance !!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kseng2002
2 Replies

10. Fedora

cron daemon name

Hi All, Please tell me which daemon is responsible for start and stop the crontab. Please tell me the location where it resides in Linux platform. Sindu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira_s
2 Replies
esmd(1M)																  esmd(1M)

NAME
esmd - Essential Services Monitor (ESM) Daemon SYNOPSIS
retry_seconds] DESCRIPTION
The Essential Services Monitor (ESM) daemon, maintains the availability of essential system daemons by automatically restarting them if they terminate. The ESM daemon monitors the Event Manager daemon, The ESM daemon is started by the init process when the system is ini- tialized to run level 2 and continues to run until the system is shut down or returned to single user mode. Only one instance of can run at a time. Configuration information is sent to the ESM daemon by a control program, which is run at key points in the startup and shutdown proce- dures. As startup or shutdown progresses, the control program updates the ESM state file, The control program then signals the daemon to reconfigure itself. On startup, state transitions occur after has started. On shutdown, transitions occur after each of these monitored daemons has termi- nated. After each transition, the ESM daemon determines which of the monitored daemons should be running and adjusts its monitoring activ- ities accordingly. The ESM daemon reports all state change information, including notice of failures and restarts, through the system logging daemon, syslogd. Messages are displayed on the system console during periods when syslogd is not running. See syslogd(1M) for more information. If the ESM daemon fails to restart a monitored daemon, it reports the error by posting a high priority message through syslogd, and makes no further restart attempts. The system administrator should investigate the problem and restart the failed daemon. The ESM daemon peri- odically attempts to resume monitoring of the daemon, and posts an informational message when it succeeds. If the monitored daemon fails again once monitoring has resumed, the ESM daemon again attempts to restart it. The ESM daemon can be forced to restart a failed daemon by sending a SIGHUP signal to the process. If there is a need to temporarily disable the ESM daemon for test purposes, in order to prevent the monitored daemons from being restarted automatically, send a SIGSTOP signal to the process. To reactivate the ESM daemon, send a SIGCONT signal to the process. The ESM daemon should never be disabled on a production system. If the ESM daemon is terminated unexpectedly, it is restarted automatically by init. Options The command recognizes the following options: Limit the priority of any syslog messages posted by the ESM daemon to "alert." If this option is not specified, posts an "emergency" message if it cannot restart a failed daemon. A message may be sent to all users currently logged in to the system. The option should only be used if the system administrator is actively monitoring syslogd messages. Specify the interval between attempts to begin monitoring a daemon that has failed, and which has been unable to restart automatically. The default period is 30 seconds. Specifying a period of zero disables retrying. Notes To use the start options, you must add them to the startup command in the file. The daemon reports any invalid start options with a single generic message through syslogd. Restrictions The daemon terminates with an error message if it is started by any process other than init. The /sbin/init.d/esm program is intended to be run by the system startup and shutdown process and should not be run from the command line. Only one instance of can run at a time. RETURN VALUE
The following exit values are returned: 0 (Zero) Successful completion. not 0 An error occurred. FILES
Executable file Configuration control script Initialization process control file dispatched by boot init Monitoring state file Receives esmd status messages AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett Packard Company. SEE ALSO
Commands kill(1), evmd(1M), init(1M), syslogd(1M). Files inittab(4). esmd(1M)