Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding log files that match number pattern Post 302829135 by atelford on Thursday 4th of July 2013 05:23:32 AM
Old 07-04-2013
Finding log files that match number pattern

I have logs files which are generated each day depending on how many processes are running. Some days it could spin up 30 processes. Other days it could spin up 50. The log files all have the same pattern with the number being the different factor. e.g.

LOG_FILE_1.log
LOG_FILE_2.log etc etc

Is there a way to only return a subset of log files which match my criteria.. So say for example.... "Give me all the log files with numbers 3-20".. ignore all others ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed for finding closest pattern to a line number

hi guys, I want to do pattern matching with awk or sed but I don't know how. here's what I want: I have a line number for a pattern that I have already found using grep, and I know a pattern like "---" that happens a few lines above that certain line number. I want to print out the chunk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Unique strings which match pattern

I need to grep for a pattern in a file. Files are huge and have several repeated occurances of the strings which match pattern. I just need the strings which contain the pattern in the output. For eg. The contents of my file are as follows. The pattern I want to match by is ABCD ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting N lines match number X of a pattern

Hi All, as the title says I need to extract N lines after match number X of a pattern. e.g. 111 xxx xxx 111 yyy yyy 111 www www 111 zzz zzz I would like to extract the two lines after the second 111 occurrence. I tried with grep but I didn't find any options to do that. Any... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding all files that do not match a certain pattern

I hope I'm asking this the right way -- I've been sending out a lot of resumes and some of them I saw on Craigslist -- so I named the file as 'Craigslist -- (filename)'. Well I noticed that at least one of the files was misspelled as 'Craigslit.' I want to eventually try to write a shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on awk for finding the column number using a match word

Hi Guys, Please help me out in my situation of writing a shell script Exampl:I have a output like asnapply 1 2 3 apply_server=1 apply_schema=ASN asnapply 1 2 3 apply_server=2 apply_schema=ASN Now i need output like asnacmd applysever=1 applyschema=ASN stop asnacmd applysever=2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallak
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern to match decimal number and interger

Hi, i've a code if (($A && ((!($A =~ /^\d+$/))))) { -- -- not a number } else { --- its number. } which matches for integer value, i need to modify that pattern where it matches decimal number with 2 decimal points and also integer value. for eg: values 10, 10.00. 0.1, 1 , 3 must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - match files containing minimum number of pattern matches

I want to search a bunch of files and list only those containing a minimum number of pattern matches. So if I want to identify files containing 3 (or more) instances of the pattern "said:" and I have file1 that contains the lines: He said: She said: and file2 that contains the lines: He... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and print the line number of occurence using awk

Hi, I have a simple problem but i guess stupid enough to figure it out. i have thousands rows of data. and i need to find match patterns of two columns and print the number of rows. for example: inputfile abd abp 123 abc abc 325 ndc ndc 451 mjk lkj... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each pattern match

Hi I need to egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each matched pattern. -m10 option is not working out in my sun solaris 5.10 Please guide me the options to achieve. if i do head -10 , i wont be getting all pattern match results as output since for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
10 Replies
FAXCRON(8C)															       FAXCRON(8C)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8C) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date(1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/fax spooling area /var/spool/fax/etc/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/fax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/fax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8C), faxq(8C), faxgetty(8C), faxsend(8C), xferfaxstats(8C), recvstats(8C), hylafax-server(5F) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8C)