Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to overwrite a file Post 302827271 by Just Ice on Friday 28th of June 2013 11:07:21 AM
Old 06-28-2013
see change ...

from
Code:
ls -ltr >> listed

to
Code:
ls -ltr > listed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

overwrite specific lines in a file

Hi all, I am trying to overwrite some lines of a very big file. I know the number of the line but I don't know how to point the cursor on its beginning. there is an option to notice the offset in lines? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

shell overwrite lines in a file

Hello, I have an external file (file.txt). This shall be a kind of a config file for my shell script. I get the line numbers as to a corresponding entry by grep. Now I would like to substitute the corresponding line from the shell script back to the file and exactly on the same line number. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ACTGADE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite a running shell script

Hello all, This might be a dumb question...but i am running into this situation. I have a shell script that is currently in running state. It has big sql's in it and will run for few days. What happens if I change the shell now? Eg: a.shl is running and i want to mv b.shl a.shl I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsjdrr
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to overwrite but can delete file

I'm debugging a ksh script written by someone else that does the following: It runs a command and redirects stdout to a file called dberror that already exists using ">". This command fails with the following error: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dberror:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: savage66
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overwrite file in multiple folders

I need to update the contents of a file that exists in several hundred folders. I'm on a mac. Can I use Terminal to execute a linux/unix command that will accomplish the overwriting of the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: webguy262
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to overwrite shell script using vi editor

I have an existing shell script that I am trying to modify. I have about 10 lines of info I want to overwrite using text someone emailed to me. I guess what I am trying to do basically is like a copy/paste, but it's not working for me. I am using Cygwin and vi editor. I open the script and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overwrite a Source Script Variable Value

Hello All, How do i overwrite a sourced script variable value. Sourced Script: GEN_PARAM_LIST4=""$LOG_DIR"/dwh_GenerateXMLFile.lst" GEN_PARAM_LIST4_v2=""$LOG_DIR"/dwh_GenerateXMLFile.v2.lst" I am using below statement for replacing. Script2: &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to overwrite & before that keep copy a file on many servers

I have ssh password less auth enable & script does the job well as well #/bin/bash for i in `cat ip` do scp /etc/resolv.conf root@$ip done But I need to take backup of the file i will overwrite .. is there any simple way ? Kindly respond (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite file every day

Hi Friends, I have written a script to capture system performance every hour and redirected to output file. How to overwrite the file every next day? Thanks Suresh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Undo overwrite file in UNIX?

Hi, Could anyone please advise if its possible in unix to undo the changes for a file that has been overwrriten. By mistake i have overwritten a file and now i need the original file, is there a way? Please Help!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail.chiranjit
2 Replies
PPPOE-SETUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    PPPOE-SETUP(8)

NAME
pppoe-setup - Shell script to configure Roaring Penguin PPPoE client SYNOPSIS
pppoe-setup DESCRIPTION
pppoe-setup is a shell script which prompts you for various pieces of information and sets up an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 configuration script for the pppoe-start, pppoe-stop and +pppoe-connect scripts. AUTHOR
pppoe-setup was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), pppoe-start(8), pppoe-stop(8), pppoe-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), pppoe-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-relay(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 PPPOE-SETUP(8)