Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quorum and hdisk issue
Operating Systems AIX Quorum and hdisk issue Post 302827079 by bakunin on Thursday 27th of June 2013 10:36:18 PM
Old 06-27-2013
You should really describe your problem better / more exactly. The following was in no way obvious from you first posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaixos
before i do the varyoffvg i need to unmount the 2 filesystems present under that VG.
Are the FSs mounted and accessible?? What is the output of:

Code:
lsvg -l appvg
lsvg -p appvg

Somehow i doubt that the filesystems are still available when the VG has been closed.

What does "errpt" tell you? The "quorum" is the minimum number of disks that have to present to make a VG valid. Once less disks than this quorum are there the VG is forced offline, which means all the FSs belonging to it are unmounted (which is why i doubt they really are there). Further, there must be some entry in the "errpt" log regarding a hdisk device failing, otherwise the quorum wouldn't have been lost.

Quote:
I have informed the application team already about this issue. probably when they give me the downtime I will unmount and then try to varyoff the VG.
NO!

When they decided to commission a system where disks are not redundant they forfeited any right to have an uninterruptible service. Hardware is failing from time to time, that is old news. Either you have hardware (regardless of what it is: network cards, disks, processors, power supplies, ... ) redundant, so that when one part fails the other is still there or you have hardware not redundant: then you have to expect the service to be interrupted from time to time. Everything else is "wash me, but don't make me wet in the process": rubbish. No admin in his right mind lets get himself in such a double-bind situation.

Your 2 disks could not have been redundant, because in this case the quorum should have been deactivated: a VG consisting of two mirrored disks is safe even if there is only one of these disk present. (If the disks were indeed mirrored: i suggest firing the idiot who configured such a horse manure on the spot for proven incompetence.)

Additional question: what are these disks? LUNs? (provided via VIOS?, NPIV? other?) Physical disks? RAID-sets? Show the output of these commands:

Quote:
lsdev -Cc disk
lsattr -El hdisk1 / hdisk2
Background is: is there a chance that the inavailability of the disk(s) might be temporary in nature? It might work if you issue

Code:
varyonvg -bu appvg

in this case.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

vpath to an hdisk

Is there a simply way for me to map a vpath to an hdisk on AIX 5.2? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2dumb
5 Replies

2. AIX

Check quorum for volume group

Hi all, I would like to ensure that a volume group has an effective quorum setting of 1 (or off). I know you can change the quorum setting using the chvg -Q command but want to know if the setting has been changed before the vg was varied on or a reboot. In other words how can I ensure that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: backslash
3 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

AIX APPVG - QUORUM LOST, VOLUME GROUP CLOSING

Hi, I am running AIX 5.3 TL8. After a disk failure, one of my mirrored application volumegroups went down. Unfortunately we have quorum switched on on this VG and the defective disk holds the majority. I have set MISSINGPV_VARYON to TRUE and tried a forced varyon but it's still failing. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
3 Replies

4. AIX

Dummy hdisk in AIX 6.1

How do you create a dummy hdisk with AIX 6.1? In previous versions, I've used this and works, but now I get this error. hostname:/:# mkdev -l hdisk57 -c disk -t osdisk -s scsi -p fscsi0 -w 0,10 -d Method error (/etc/methods/define): 0514-022 The specified connection is not valid. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

5. AIX

LVM - Quorum

Hi all Just a question about quorum. I am running AIX 5.3 Rootvg has 2 PV - not mirrored. quorum is switched on. What happens when one disk fails?, can i replace the disk and bring the entire VG back up. with all the data intact. knowing that the VG will be unavailable until i replace the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andre54
3 Replies

6. AIX

Quorum in lsvg output

Hi there, I have three servers and I'm puzzled by the oputput I get from lsvg rootvg. Server 1 : QUORUM: 2 (Enabled) Server 2 : QUORUM: 1 (Disabled) Server 3 : QUORUM: 1 All VG are build on 2 PV and are mirroring. What could cause the number to be different?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
2 Replies

7. AIX

Flashcopy, ghost hdisk ??

Hi all, I'm getting some errors on AIX regarding Flashcopy and volume group hard disks. The script that activates flashcopy showed this errors: Recreating Flashcopy for lun01_A1 Performing syntax check... Syntax check complete. Executing script... Script execution complete. SMcli... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enux
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Centos/rhel 5 cluster 3 nodes with out Quorum

Hi all, i have 3 nodes cluster (Centos 5 cluster suit) with out quorum disk, node vote = 1, the value of a quorum = 2, when 2 nodes going offline, cluster services are destoys. How i can save the cluster and all services(move all services to one alive node) with out quorum disk when other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flomaster
3 Replies

9. AIX

How can I map hdisk# to rhdisk#?

Some storage/disks have been added to an existing AIX 6.1 server. The admin sent me the list of hdisk#'s for the new disks, but I need the corresponding rhdisk# for the same hdisk. (I know from past experience that the rhdisk that maps to an hdisk is not always the same number. For instance,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrower
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Precaution during Quorum Server Reboot

Hi I need to know what are the precaution we should take during quorum server reboot as this quorum server is providing quorum devices to five different solaris two node clusters. Also let me know do I have to follow below procedure as well before and after reboot of quorum server Do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
3 Replies
clsetup(1CL)						 Sun Cluster Maintenance Commands					      clsetup(1CL)

NAME
clsetup - configure Sun Cluster interactively SYNOPSIS
/usr/cluster/bin/clsetup -V /usr/cluster/bin/clsetup -? /usr/cluster/bin/clsetup [-f logfile] DESCRIPTION
The clsetup command provides the following configuration capabilities, depending on what state the cluster is in when you issue the com- mand. The user must be superuser to run this command. This command has no short form. o When you run the clsetup command at post-installation time, the command performs initial setup tasks, such as configuring quorum devices and resetting the installmode property. If you deselected automatic Quroum Configuration when you created the cluster using either scinstall or the cluster create command, then you must run the clsetup command immediately after the cluster has been installed. Ensure that all nodes have joined the cluster before you run the clsetup command and reset the installmode prop- erty. If you used automatic quorum configuration when you created the cluster, you do not need to run the clsetup command after clus- ter installation. The automatic quorum configuration feature also resets the installmode property of the cluster. You can issue this form of the clsetup command from any node in the cluster. o When you run the clsetup command during normal cluster operation, the scsetup command provides an interactive, menu-driven util- ity to perform cluster configuration tasks. The following are some of the cluster components which this utility administers: o Quorum o Resource groups o Data services o Cluster interconnect o Device groups and volumes o Private hostnames o New nodes o Other cluster properties You can issue this form of the clsetup command from any node in the cluster. o When you run the clsetup command from a node that is in noncluster mode, the clsetup command provides a menu-driven utility for changing and displaying the private IP address range. You must reboot all nodes into noncluster mode before you start this form of the clsetup utility. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -? --help Prints help information for the command. -f logfile --file logfile Specifies the name of a log file to which commands can be logged. If this option is specified, most command sets generated by clsetup can br run and logged, or just logged, depending on user responses. -V --version Prints the version of the command set. No command line processing will be performed and the command will not enter into its interactive menu. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(1CL), cldevicegroup(1CL), clnode(1CL), clquorum(1CL), clreslogicalhostname(1CL), clresourcegroup(1CL), clresourcetype(1CL), clressharedaddress(1CL), cluster(1CL), cltelemetryattribute(1CL) Sun Cluster 3.2 5 May 2006 clsetup(1CL)