Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Function open() sets errno
Top Forums Programming Function open() sets errno Post 302827003 by Corona688 on Thursday 27th of June 2013 05:42:08 PM
Old 06-27-2013
From man 3 errno:

Code:
       The  <errno.h> header file defines the integer variable errno, which is
       set by system calls and some library functions in the event of an error
       to  indicate  what  went wrong.  Its value is significant only when the
       return value of the call indicated an error (i.e., -1 from most  system
       calls;  -1  or  NULL from most library functions); a function that suc-
       ceeds is allowed to change errno.

So, errno should never be used to check whether an error happened -- only which error. It's easy to picture more elaborate library calls changing the value of errno many times before they return... You must be exact about when and why you use it for what to get something meaningful.

I'm not sure why a successful system call would be changing errno, but it's allowed to. Perhaps it was a simplification -- "these first 4 cases will all return EACCESS, so set it first, and return immediately if any of them fail". And they never bother to change the error to success when it succeeds.

Another invalid way to use errno is checking the value of errno too late, after they've made another system call. This can give you the strange result 'ERROR: Success'.

Last edited by Corona688; 06-27-2013 at 06:48 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function to test if file is open

I need to write a function that will work in sh/ksh shell that will test to see if a file has already been opened for writting by another user has anyone written something like this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsonbryce
3 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Clouds (Partially Order Sets) - Streams (Linearly Ordered Sets) - Part 2

timbass Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:07:53 +0000 Originally posted in Yahoo! CEP-Interest Here is my follow-up note on posets (partially ordered sets) and tosets (totally or linearly ordered sets) as background set theory for event processing, and in particular CEP and ESP. In my last note, we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

(lmgrd) Can't open /usr/tmp/.flexlm/lmgrdl.4081, errno: 24

We are a tool vendor and one of our users is getting this error. The user is using several macrovision(FLEXLM) license enabled products including ours. (lmgrd) Can't open /usr/tmp/.flexlm/lmgrdl.4081, errno: 24 At this time, it stops checking out licenses, and will not respond to query's.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

4. Programming

errno

Hey, Can I assume that for certain function calls, errno can never be set to a certain value. More specifically, can I assume that for if the stat function call fails, the errno can never be or "No space left on device." I am assuming that a read function cannot fail because of no space... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Sybase help: Open client, bcp function

To begin: I use Linux The Problem: I need bcp functionality for scripts. Perl modules, such as Sybase:xfer, require ctlib which comes with Sybase Open Client. Talking with Sybase sales reps is an exercise in futility and hate. They know absolutely nothing about their own products and will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
0 Replies

6. Programming

Open function of sys/stat.h

If a process already has the entire file locked for read and write using newstruct.l_type = F_WRLCK; what would happen if another process would try to open it in read only mode using open(filename, O_RDONLY); ? I want to check if the file exists and I want it to work even if another process has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help !! perl open function

Help Please perl Gurus, I am trying to add ungrouped passengers in a group and I creating a script however it fails on first step only I tried all the options it returns following error. syntax error at junki line 4, near "open " Execution of junki aborted due to compilation errors. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamax
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open file function

Hello all, just a quick little part of code i'm writing to check if the file i'm writing too in my automatic process is not being written too manually. #!/bin/bash FUSER=$(/sbin/fuser -s /toto.tmp >/dev/null 2>&1) LSOF=$(/usr/sbin/lsof | grep -q "toto.tmp") PGREP=$(pgrep -f "toto.tmp" >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
OPENDIR(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							OPENDIR(3)

NAME
opendir, fdopendir - open a directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> DIR *opendir(const char *name); DIR *fdopendir(int fd); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): fdopendir(): Since glibc 2.10: _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 || _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The opendir() function opens a directory stream corresponding to the directory name, and returns a pointer to the directory stream. The stream is positioned at the first entry in the directory. The fdopendir() function is like opendir(), but returns a directory stream for the directory referred to by the open file descriptor fd. After a successful call to fdopendir(), fd is used internally by the implementation, and should not otherwise be used by the application. RETURN VALUE
The opendir() and fdopendir() functions return a pointer to the directory stream. On error, NULL is returned, and errno is set appropri- ately. ERRORS
EACCES Permission denied. EBADF fd is not a valid file descriptor opened for reading. EMFILE Too many file descriptors in use by process. ENFILE Too many files are currently open in the system. ENOENT Directory does not exist, or name is an empty string. ENOMEM Insufficient memory to complete the operation. ENOTDIR name is not a directory. VERSIONS
fdopendir() is available in glibc since version 2.4. CONFORMING TO
opendir() is present on SVr4, 4.3BSD, and specified in POSIX.1-2001. fdopendir() is specified in POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
The underlying file descriptor of the directory stream can be obtained using dirfd(3). The opendir() function sets the close-on-exec flag for the file descriptor underlying the DIR *. The fdopendir() function leaves the set- ting of the close-on-exec flag unchanged for the file descriptor, fd. POSIX.1-200x leaves it unspecified whether a successful call to fdopendir() will set the close-on-exec flag for the file descriptor, fd. SEE ALSO
open(2), closedir(3), dirfd(3), readdir(3), rewinddir(3), scandir(3), seekdir(3), telldir(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-20 OPENDIR(3)