Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Monitor the CPU load for each process and total Post 302826971 by techy1 on Thursday 27th of June 2013 04:16:48 PM
Old 06-27-2013
not to sure about this one but you may want to take a look into vmstax or check out rrd forums and see if it's been done before.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

load monitor script

I need help in finding a script to monitor loads for 8+ servers on a single console. The goal here is to centralize it and run the script from a single server. Can anyone help on this? Im running this script on each server to monitor the load. while true; do w | grep average | grep -v grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: locabuilt
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

4. Programming

how to monitor the child process on which cpu core

Hi all. Sorry to express my questions wrongly in my early post,I repost my question again here. My pc has dual core, I wirte an application with two process, parents process and child process. My quetion is how to realize :if the child process is on core 0,it will tell me I'm on core 0,if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

System Health - Cpu, Load, IO Monitor

hello there, can someone please tell me the commands that makes sense, from a production point of view, to be used to make sure CPU, LOAD or IO usages on a Linux or Solaris server isn't too high? I'm aware of vmstat, iostat, sar. But i seriously need real world advice as to what fields in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Total cpu usage in percent(%)

How to determine the total percentage cpu usage of a server having 4 cpu cores(quad core)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart debian server if one specific process has more than 10 seconds have high cpu load

Hi, could someone give me an example for a debian server script? I need to check a process if the process has a high cpu load (top). If yes the whole server needs to reboot. Thats it, nothing more. ;) Hope someone could help me. Regards woisch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: woisch
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to monitor process with high CPU

Hi, Linux redhat 5.5 I need to write a kshell script that shows all the process that consume 100% CPU (or more. strange but there are time that top shows higger value that 100) and they are active more than 5 minute. The top command shows all the relevat information: The PID of the cpu ,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Total CPU usage on a server

hi, i am using solaris server. I want to find the total CPU usage on a server. Top command will give that result, but here that command is not working. So anyone can help me to find the total CPU usage. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arasu123
2 Replies

10. Linux

Linux Total Processes - Why monitor it?

Hi Guys, Monitoring 'Total Processes' on Linux servers has been always something you 'should' do. My question is - why? Is it relevant anymore? If you monitor memory and cpu params, you have a pretty good idea about what's going on. Is the number of processes really matter? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DjDeaf
1 Replies
MRTG-RRD(1)							       mrtg							       MRTG-RRD(1)

NAME
mrtg-rrd - How to use RRDtool with MRTG SYNOPSIS
After using MRTG for some time you may find some limitations, mostly in the areas of performance and graphing flexibility. These are exactly the areas addressed by RRDtool. To learn more about RRDtool check out its website on http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool RRDTOOL INTEGRATION
When using mrtg with RRDtool you are replacing rateup with the RRDtool perl module RRDs.pm. To enable RRDtool support in mrtg you have to add the line LogFormat: rrdtool to your mrtg config file. MRTG needs access to both the RRDtool perl module RRDs.pm and to the rrdtool executable. If these two items are not installed in locations where perl can find them on its own, then you can use the following two parameters to supply the appropriate directories. For the location of the rrdtool executable you put PathAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/bin/ or PathAdd: c: rdtoolin For the location of the perl module it would be: LibAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/lib/perl/ or LibAdd: c: rdtoolinlibperl When you have made this modification to the configuration file, several things will happen when you run mrtg again with the new config file: 1. mrtg will take all your old ".log" files and convert them to ".rrd" format. (The ".log" files don't get touched in the process, so if things don't work out they are still there.) 2. mrtg will use rrdtool to update its databases. These will have a new format called rrd which is totally different than the native log format of the classic mrtg. 3. mrtg will not create any webpages of graphs anymore. It will only query the routers for traffic information and update its rrd databases. The advantage of whole thing is that the mrtg will become much faster. Expect the runtime to drop to 20% of the previous value. (I would like to get some feedback on this from folks with large installations.) Mind you, though, while the logging process of RRDtool is very fast, you are also gaining some time by neither creating graphs nor updating webpages. The idea behind this is that it is more efficient to create graphs and webpages on demand by using a cgi script. At the moment there is no official script to do this, but two contributers have created such scripts: One4All aka 14all.cgi This was the first program to take over the webpage creation and graphing task. It has been developed by Rainer Bawidamann rainer.bawidamann@web.de. You can find a copy on Rainers website: http://my14all.sourceforge.net/ The program comes with its own documentation routers2.cgi This is another CGI frontend for mrtg running with rrdtool. The main difference between this and 14all is that the web pages it creates are much more stylish than the ones from mrtg, plus they support User Defined summary graphs and different levels of Authentication and Authorisation. This has been written by Steve Shipway (steve@steveshipway.org). You obtain a copy, and find a forum and demonstration system at http://www.steveshipway.org/software/ The program comes with its own installation instructions and install script. mrtg-rrd The mrtg-rrd script is a CGI/FastCGI application by Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak for displaying MRTG graphs from data in the RRDtool format. It is an intended replacement for the 14all.cgi script. It can make your monitoring system faster because MRTG does not have to generate all the PNG files with graphs every 5 minutes or so. Instead of this the graphs are generated on-demand when the user wants to see them. http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/mrtg-rrd/ FUTURE
Just as a side note: MRTG-3 will be based entirely on rrdtool technology. But don't wait for it ... get going now! AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-RRD(1)