Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk: can't open error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: can't open error Post 302826273 by smile689 on Wednesday 26th of June 2013 09:08:33 AM
Old 06-26-2013
Awk: can't open error

Hi ,
In a directory i've the files in the following format
pay:year:mon:11789604
pay:year:mon:17675644
---
and i need to get 4th part of the above file name
so i used awk command in the below code
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
for test_data in pay*
do

txt_awk = awk -F':' '{print $4;}' $test_data
 echo "$txt_awk"  

done

Error: 
awk: can't open

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: cannot open inputf

I'd like some help with awk too. Somewhere in my bash script i have written something like this: awk -v outputfile=$finalFile -v inputf=$file 'BEGIN { commands } { more commands } ΕND{ }' inputf where the file is a .input file with data. I also tried this: awk -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_fairy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: can't open

Hi Guys, I was just trying to run a bunch of test scripts which ran perfectly before i changed servers to a different solaris machine. But i just changed it to run on a different solaris version and my awk statement in the script shows an error. awk BEGIN{s=ARGV; r=ARGV; \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wick3dsunny
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Can't open file

Hello all, I am creating a small bash script to cycle through some files that are the results of an analysis I have run (I am a statistician). There are many folders called job001, job002,...,job135. Each folder has a text file called results.txt. I want to create two summary files of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jem43
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: can't open the file

I have a shell script with the following awk command. awk '$1 == "GEOG_SRV"{split($2,a,":");print a}' /etc/qm when I run it manually command line its fine and giving the output. bash-3.00$ awk '$1 == "GEOG_SRV"{split($2,a,":");print a}' /etc/qm 9010 But in the script its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Too many open streams to print/printf

hallow all i need your advice about this script i have script like this: INDEX=/zpool1/NFS/INDEX/${1} SCRIPT=/zpool1/NFS/script/${1} LIST=SAMPLE cd ${SCRIPT} for i in `cat ${LIST}` do GETDATE=`echo ${i}|awk '{print substr($1,9,8)}'` /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F ":" '{close(f);f=$4}{print >>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to open large datafie in awk?

I just tried awk '{print}' all.plo awk: cannot open all.plo (Value too large for defined data type)awk '{print $8"-"$7"-"$6,$9,$4,$5,$12,$15}' all.plo awk: cannot open all.plo (Value too large for defined data type) datafile size is 4.8GB any other provision ? only cat works FS is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: can't open file!!

To whom it may concern, Please help! I am trying to use awk to open all the files in a folder and remove one row and append everything into an output file. for X in `ls /Users/misssmith/Desktop/birdseed/`; do awk '(NR==546412)' /Users/misssmith/Desktop/birdseed/$X >>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: salpie
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk date too many open files

Dear Community; I have a csv file with msb and lsb in $3 and $5 fields which provides the epochtime (factor 65536). Further I need to convert epochtime to readable datetime. But am getting an error. File Sample: 5000a,1000,20671,0,16421,0,1,NULL,0 5000b,1000,20974,0,-16284,0,1,NULL,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (Too many open files)

Hi Team, This is my first post, hope I am doing it right. I have a large file, like 6 GB. Its a proxy file so vendor requested to change username from logs for saving the confidentiality of the user. This is the script I created (With the help of Google): awk '{ tmp="echo " $5 " |... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tealc
12 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)