Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Length validation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Length validation Post 302826251 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 26th of June 2013 08:18:56 AM
Old 06-26-2013
try..

Code:

awk -F"," '{if(length($1)>12){print "Service ID have higher precision"}else{print "Service ID have lesser precision"}}' filename

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Line length validation

I am attempting to use awk to validate the length of each line in a fixed-width raw data file prior to reading in the data. I am happy with.... {if (length() == 403) print > "valid.file"; else print > " invalid.file" } ...to separate out the valid length lines from invalid length... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: en7smb
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Line length validation

Hi, I have requirement where record length is stored in an variable RECORD_LENGTH Code goes as follows RECORD_LENGTH=537 the above is arrived from #RECORD_LENGTH=`awk -F"=" '{$sum+=$2} END{print $sum}' DBP_Claims_CFG.ini` awk ' { if (length() == '$RECORD_LENGTH') print FNR, $0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ainuddin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Datatype and length validation

I have sourcefile and structure of source file,i want to check whether datatype and length mention in emp.txt is same as source file. Example: in emp.txt first row contains sno number so in source file also first column should contain only number if data is other than number then that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
1 Replies
SOCKET_WRITE(3) 							 1							   SOCKET_WRITE(3)

socket_write - Write to a socket

SYNOPSIS
int socket_write (resource $socket, string $buffer, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
The function socket_write(3) writes to the $socket from the given $buffer. PARAMETERS
o $socket - o $buffer - The buffer to be written. o $length - The optional parameter $length can specify an alternate length of bytes written to the socket. If this length is greater than the buffer length, it is silently truncated to the length of the buffer. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of bytes successfully written to the socket or FALSE on failure. The error code can be retrieved with socket_last_error(3). This code may be passed to socket_strerror(3) to get a textual explanation of the error. Note It is perfectly valid for socket_write(3) to return zero which means no bytes have been written. Be sure to use the === operator to check for FALSE in case of an error. NOTES
Note socket_write(3) does not necessarily write all bytes from the given buffer. It's valid that, depending on the network buffers etc., only a certain amount of data, even one byte, is written though your buffer is greater. You have to watch out so you don't uninten- tionally forget to transmit the rest of your data. SEE ALSO
socket_accept(3), socket_bind(3), socket_connect(3), socket_listen(3), socket_read(3), socket_strerror(3). PHP Documentation Group SOCKET_WRITE(3)