Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setuid not working in Linux as script fails to write to file. Post 302826063 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 25th of June 2013 08:13:03 PM
Old 06-25-2013
1. most ksh insist in safe mode
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh -p

2. Linux does not support suid scripts. You need to write and compile a binary helper, or use an existing helper like sudo.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to write a home-grown backup script for Linux

I am researching ways in which to backup files or whole file systems for backup to another system. We are using Suse Linux 7.0 with no tape backup devices or secondary disks. What utilities would be the best to use for a simple yet flexible script for backup purposes? tar, cpio, compress. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

log file when the script fails !

i have a script that will retrive some info from database. The script is working fine but i have to add new feature in it when the script fails or retrive null result it should reflect in the log file. below the script AMR_Inactive.sh while read i do connect1=`sqlplus -silent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

when a process fails to write to /dev/log

Hi , when a process fails to write to /dev/log ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a problem with write a script in Linux version 2.4.27-ubnt0

Hello everyone, I have a radio wireless called UBNT Nanostation5 It has this linux OS:Linux version 2.4.27-ubnt0 When i want to write a script in ssh, i get some errors The script is: ifconfig eth0 down ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:15:6D:**:**:** ifconfig eth0 up cfg -x echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cygol
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

process fails if setuid bit is set

Hi, OS : Linux I have an executable (P1) owned by user say "abcd" and the setuid bit is set. And there is another executable (P2) which brings up the process (P1). When the setuid bit is set, the process P1 is failing, if the setuid bit is not set there is no issue. I was wondering if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux shell | how to exit a script if any command fails.

Hi, i am new here let me say HI for all. now i have a question please: i am sending one command to my machine to create 3 names. if one of the names exists then the box return error message that already have the name but will continue to create the rests. How i can break the command and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiri
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
SHUNIT2(1)																SHUNIT2(1)

NAME
shunit2 - A unit test framework for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shunit2 unitfile DESCRIPTION
shUnit2 is a xUnit unit test framework for Bourne based shell scripts, and it is designed to work in a similar manner to JUnit, PyUnit, etc.. If you have ever had the desire to write a unit test for a shell script, shUnit2 can do the job. You can either run shunit2 directly from the commandline and specify the unit file or directly source the shunit2 executable. If you directly execute shunit2 and don't specify a unitfile shunit2 assumes a empty testfile and will return without an error message. EXAMPLE
Simple script to test if 1 equals 1 #! /bin/sh testEquality() { assertEquals 1 1 } # load shunit2 . shunit2 Execute shUnit2 unit tests directly from the commandline shunit2 /path/to/unit/file OPTIONS
shunit2 does not support any commandline options at all. You can either source shunit2 to execute your unit tests or directly run shunit2 as a commandline script. SEE ALSO
For more information see http://code.google.com/p/shunit2/ or have a look at the installed documentation in /usr/share/doc/shunit2/ AUTHOR
shunit2 was written by Kate Ward <kate.ward@forestent.com>. This manpage was written by Ulrich Dangel <mru@spamt.net>. 2.1.6 03/25/2012 SHUNIT2(1)