Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ping Response from the host name Post 302825665 by sharsour on Tuesday 25th of June 2013 12:42:16 AM
Old 06-25-2013
Ping Response from the host name

Hi All,

I have the requirement where am pinging the server and matching the IP address with the existing IP address. Below code is returning me the IP address and my requirement is i have to see that also whether it is pinging or not

Code:
PING useipapd01 (172.22.32.87) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from useipapd01 (172.22.32.87): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms
64 bytes from useipapd01 (172.22.32.87): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms

below code is giving me the IP address of the first line. But i want to get the second line also which will tell me whether it is pinging the server or not.
Code:
ip1=$(ping -q -c 1 -t 1 "$host" |grep PING | grep -Eo '[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}')

I want to check the second line which should tell me whether it is pinging or not

Code:
64 bytes from hostname

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to ping host

Hi, dear all, I am rather new to Unix and have this problem where I cant seem to ping from 1 host to another. The scenerio is as follows: - 1 QNX host->Eth->1 SCO host the SCO host is configured with it's IP the QNX host is configured with another IP both in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.XX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to ping a host, is it alive or not ...

hello to everyone, i was wondering if you could help me with a script im working on, it's kind of simple but i dont have a lot experience on unix comands: well, here it is: you might apreciate the infinite while loop :D, it is supossed to be running on the server all day scaning it every 5... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
12 Replies

4. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

testing ping response

Hi! I'm trying to create a script for seeing if a host is alive, and depending on the ammount of packet loss, send an mail+sms to warn if the host seems to be dead. The script i'm trying to use is: pinger () { ping_stat=`ping -c 4 host.name | grep loss | awk '{print $7}'` echo "Packet... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
18 Replies

6. AIX

Ping response

:confused:Hi, In linux if ping to a system from a linux server it shows ping time=0.120ms how we can achive this in aix. i need this for a latency check. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
5 Replies

7. IP Networking

ping can not recognize host but host command can

Hi, I have a weird problem. when ever I do ping command like for example ping unix.comI get the following message: # ping unix.com ping: unknown host unix.com but when I use host the computer is able to know the host. # host unix.com unix.com has address 81.17.242.186 unix.com mail is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping Host Until it is up and email

Hi I am trying to write a script which runs until the host is up. i got it figured out that it needs to be in loop till it return $? = 0. Not getting it through though. I am not sure about the 6th line !!! #!/bin/sh HOSTS="host.txt" ping(){ for myhost in "$HOSTS" do ping -c -1 "$myhost"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antergen
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping + timestamp + selected response

Hello All, i would like to start ping command and the result should contain also Timestate. this i'm able to do with following command : ping HOSTNAME | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_' or ping HOSTNAME | awk '/time\=(+\.{2}) ms /^+ bytes from / { "date" | getline pong;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ob3l1x
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)