Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Suggestions for command line parsing Post 302825573 by RudiC on Monday 24th of June 2013 03:47:49 PM
Old 06-24-2013
Works in recent bash, but not for negative numbers:
Code:
T=1,4,5,6-10,13-25
IFS="," A=($T) 
for  ((I=0; I<${#A[@]}; I++ )); do [ ${A[I]/-} = ${A[I]} ] &&  echo -n ${A[I]} || eval echo -n {${A[I]/-/..}}; echo -n " "; done; echo
1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

You could also read variable T from a file in a loop...

EDIT: Actually, with a minor modification, we're getting quite far into the negatives:
Code:
T=1,-4,5,6--10,13-25
IFS="," A=($T) 
for ((I=0; I<${#A[@]}; I++ )); do [ ${A[I]/?-} = ${A[I]} ] && echo -n ${A[I]} || eval echo -n {${A[I]/-/..}}; echo -n " "; done; echo
1 -4 5 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -10 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Last edited by RudiC; 06-24-2013 at 04:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing the command line arguments

Is there a way to get the command line arguments. I am using getopt(3) but if the arguments are more than one for a particular option than it just ignores the second argument. For eg ./a.out -x abc def now abd will be got with -x using getopt "( x : )" and string abc\0def will get stored... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakhanna
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing command line switches in Perl

Hi, My perl script takes few switches which i'm parsing through GetOpt::Long module. My script looks like something : myscript.pl --file="foo" --or --file="bar" The --file switch takes 2 arguments foo and bar. The 2 values of file are separated by --or switch. I want to ensure that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: obelix
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing command line arguments in bash

Looking for a little help parsing some command line arguments in a bash script I am working on, this is probably fairly basic to most, but I do not have much experience with it. At the command line, when the script is run, I need to make sure the argument passed is a file, it exists in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breakology
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a command line parameter in script

I have a simple script that builds a complex program call which passes a number of parameters to the program. I'm trying to enhance the script to include the value of the command line parameter in the name of a file being created. The problem I'm having is that the parameter may include a forward... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbmax626
11 Replies

6. Programming

Parsing command line arguments in Python

Hi, I've a python script called aaa.py and passing an command line option " -a" to the script like, ./aaa.py -a & Inside the script if the -a option is given I do some operation if not something else. code looks like ./aaa.py -a . . if options.a ---some operation--- if not options.a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Command Line Arguments In C shell script

]I have a string like "/abc/cmind/def/pq/IC.2.4.6_main.64b/lnx86" and this string is given by user. But in this string instead of 64b user may passed 32 b an i need to parse this string and check wether its is 32b or 64 b and according to it i want to set appropriate flags. How will i do this... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: codecatcher
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command suggestions

I've defined the order of elements which needs to be print in a order in a variable. please let me know how can I use it in awk command ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Line Perl for parsing fasta file

I would like to take a fasta file formated like >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0002 agttcgag >0003 ggtaacctga and use command line perl to move the all sample gt 8 in length to a new file. the result would be >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0003 ggtaacctga cat ${sample}.fasta | perl -lane... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML using command line

Hi Experts, How do I parse a XML with below contents <saw:user name="mbussey@xyz.com" /> <saw:user name="kimmy.chan@pqr.com" /> <saw:user name="chudgins@gmail.com" /> and retrieve below output ? mbussey@xyz.com kimmy.chan@pqr.com chudgins@gmail.com ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pauldx
17 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)