Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echoing silently?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echoing silently? Post 302825543 by alister on Monday 24th of June 2013 02:30:02 PM
Old 06-24-2013
You can disable and re-enable terminal echoing using stty. Read its manual page or search the forum or the internet. It's been asked many times.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

become SU - ...Silently

Hi, One more question guys.... I need to become "su " during a script and then execute a script and then exit back and become the normal user. How can this be done ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoing two variables in one statement

I have the following -------------------- foreach var (STO SNY WKF) set ta = 5 end --------- How can I echo both variables at the same time. Something to the effect of echo ${$var}ta But this doesn't work. Seems like it would. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo not echoing correctly

Here is the file named tuwork.......... 209 200 WZ 6529 SKTNCA01X4X C POI LODI LODI 738 SKTNCA0127T LOD Here is the scipt....... cat tuwork | while read rva do num=`echo $rva | cut -d" " -f1-2` reg=`echo $rva | cut -c10` ocn=`echo $rva | cut -c12-15` x=`echo $rva | cut -c29`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute a command silently or quietly within a shell

How do I suspend output of commands and tools that sometimes utter unwanted output? I know that I can always pipe to null or some such thing, but is there a simpler more elegant (i.e. accepted) practice? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echoing

I was just wondering how you would echo out different length variables but still have them all line up. I tried putting tabs between the variables but that didn't work as planned. For example this is in some loop, with different variables in it each time: echo "$1 $2 $3 $4 $5" Appears like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Okema
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echoing weird variables.

kindly find below:- var="'(]\\{}\$\"" echo $var # it wil give this '(]\{}$" echo "$var" # '(]\{}$" Doesn't make a difference why???. if we set IFS to '\' also the below happens IFS='\' echo $var # '(] {}$" \ converted to space. Why? weird!! echo "$var"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echoing command results

Sorry folks, Second time today. I am working on a script that accepts data via pipe and processes it. I expect it to work as: # command | ProcScript.sh Within ProcScript.sh, I want to be able to give the target of the prev run command I am using history 2 | grep -v history | awk... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[QUESTION] echoing a variable

Hi...I am trying to make a script like this: mmc=123 echo "$mmc" > 123.txt The variable "mmc" has to be declared right on the beginning of the script, so when I open 123.txt, I get: 123 My question is, how can I "echo" '$mmc' into 123.txt, retaining the '$mmc' phrase? Which means when... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryuinferno
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echoing only once for each subdir

I have a script that runs from this: for i in * ; do (cd $i && echo $i && /test1/execute/testb);done this is testb: for file in `ls *.txt` do if && && && && && ; then echo "NO"; break 1; else echo "it is there" fi done What is happening is that I can get it to run a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getopts not echoing correctly

Hi, When I run the the following code: #!/bin/bash if ]; then usage fi if ] then echo "Do not execute this as root, use -s instead" fi SERVERFILE="servers" function usage { echo "USAGE: ${0} COMMAND" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohca2020
4 Replies
GKSU(1) 							   User Commands							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - GTK+ frontend for su and sudo SYNOPSIS
gksu gksu [-u <user>] [options] <command> gksudo [-u <user>] [options] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. Notice that all the magic is done by the underlying library, libgksu. Also notice that the library will decide if it should use su or sudo as backend using the /apps/gksu/sudo-mode gconf key, if you call the gksu command. You can force the backend by using the gksudo command, or by using the --sudo-mode and --su-mode options. If no command is given, the gksu program will display a small window that allows you to type in a command to be run, and to select what user the program should be run as. The other options are disregarded, right now, in this mode. OPTIONS
--debug, -d Print information on the screen that might be useful for diagnosing and/or solving problems. --user <user>, -u <user> Call <command> as the specified user. --disable-grab, -g Disable the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password. --prompt, -P Ask the user if they want to have their keyboard and mouse grabbed before doing so. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. --login, -l Make this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! --description <description|file>, -D <description|file> Provide a descriptive name for the command to be used in the default message, making it nicer. You can also provide the absolute path for a .desktop file. The Name key for will be used in this case. --message <message>, -m <message> Replace the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option. Only use this if --description does not suffice. --print-pass, -p Ask gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --su-mode, -w Force gksu to use su(1) as its backend for running the programs. --sudo-mode, -S Force gksu to use sudo(1) as its backend for running the programs. SEE ALSO
su(1), sudo(1) gksu version 2.0.x August 2006 GKSU(1)